I think it may be flooded

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

I think it may be flooded

Post by ConnerVT »

Last week, I went to start up the T500 from a long winter's nap. Took the battery off the tender, put it in the bike. Turned on the manual petcock, kicked it a few times before turning the key. Gave it some choke, and went to start her up. Nothing.

Pulled one of the plugs. Yes, nice spark present. Put it back in, kicked for awhile. Got tired, and took a break.

Came back about 45 minutes later, to a small puddle of gas at the bike. Didn't shut off the petcock, and damn internally vented carbs don't overflow to the ground. They overflow into the cylinders. Have had it happen before (bad float needle seal). I didn't have time to pull her all apart, and I didn't have the bad gasoline smell as last time, so figured only a little gas in the engine. Right?

I only found time to work on her today. Pulled the carbs. Intake still a little wet, but it is a sealed space, so OK. Put the catch pan under the bike, and pulled the cylinder drain plugs. Al least a pint of gas came gushing out of both cylinders!

So I guess it is flooded.
Evans Ward
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 76 GT750, 72 H2 750, 84 RZ350

Re: I think it may be flooded

Post by Evans Ward »

I'd check the needle/ seat as well as float level on carbs too.
1976 Suzuki GT750 (Maui Blue), 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV (Candytone Blue), 1984 Yamaha RZ350 (KRR- Yellow/ Black).
ConnerVT
Novice racer

Post by ConnerVT »

Carbs pulled apart, cleaned, and checked.

Sitting all winter, the fuel evaporates some from the bowls. Asking alot of the float/needle system to close tight on an initial fill. We may underestimate how much engine vibration helps to solidly keep those things tight.
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

ConnerVT wrote:Carbs pulled apart, cleaned, and checked.

Sitting all winter, the fuel evaporates some from the bowls. Asking alot of the float/needle system to close tight on an initial fill. We may underestimate how much engine vibration helps to solidly keep those things tight.
Yes. Sometimes a sharp tap on the side of the fuel bowl with the wooden shaft of a hammer is enough stop the leak
ConnerVT
Novice racer

Post by ConnerVT »

sportston wrote:
ConnerVT wrote:Carbs pulled apart, cleaned, and checked.

Yes. Sometimes a sharp tap on the side of the fuel bowl with the wooden shaft of a hammer is enough stop the leak
Yeah, believe I may make that part of my first start of the season routine.

The good news is after draining the bottom end, stripping and cleaning the carbs, and putting her all back together again, she started on the 3rd kick. Warmed her up ever so gently (I'm sure I washed a bit of oil off of everything) and took her for a short loop around the neighborhood.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

It's a good thing it didn't start with that much liquid in there....hydrolock-city.
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........