Electronic ignition from Classic Suzuki parts NL

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Micron
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT 250 1975

Electronic ignition from Classic Suzuki parts NL

Post by Micron »

Has anyone fitted one of these from the above supplier
http://www.classicsuzukiparts.nl/wp-con ... 020363.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you had, did you have any issues when it came to fitting it, as we are?

Also, we are trying to replace one electronic ignition for another, but might be missing some original parts?

Any help would be great

Thanks

Trev
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Re: Electronic ignition from Classic Suzuki parts NL

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi Trev,

This is a new one for me. Is it designed to trigger the Std. PEI unit?

Cheers Geoff
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

The seller has a good reputation. I made a few purchases from him with good results.

He has been selling ignitions for some years but I’ve not heard any comments about them.
They replace the points and look to be sell-contained units like the Dyna S kits.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Micron
On the street

Post by Micron »

Zunspec4 wrote:Hi Trev,

This is a new one for me. Is it designed to trigger the Std. PEI unit?

Cheers Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I will have to plead my ignorance as regards to a PEI unit?

It is supposed to replace the points system as jabab says, in theory there is very little to fit, what you see in the link is everything that you get :shock: to be honest, I did have to question the content.

I will try and get some pictures of what we currently have, because it's not an original set-up, so I'm not sure what I'm missing?
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I would think that the rotor replaces a stock points cam and the complete plate and modules would replace the points and mounting plates. It will not use the old condensers.

Wiring should be simple and will probably be a single power lead to the modules and lead from each to a coil.

What parts do you think you are missing - or put another way, what isn't fitting?

It looks very similar to a DYNA conversion I had to make for a GT250 customer.
Micron
On the street

Post by Micron »

tz375 wrote:I would think that the rotor replaces a stock points cam and the complete plate and modules would replace the points and mounting plates. It will not use the old condensers.

Wiring should be simple and will probably be a single power lead to the modules and lead from each to a coil.

What parts do you think you are missing - or put another way, what isn't fitting?

It looks very similar to a DYNA conversion I had to make for a GT250 customer.
Hi,
I'm not 100% sure, to be honest, there may not be anything missing, however it refers to connecting part of it to the black wire from the points, that is now not there

The pictures below kind of show what we currently have, and the replacement shaft, which doesn't fit!
The instructions tell you to connect the orange wire to the orange on the canister, which I assume is the flasher, unit?
It may not be a problem, and we just need to be a bit trial and error?

sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

Hi Trev,
I've fitted similar to cars before. It should be fairly simple to fit the rotor and base plate.
After you have disconnected the battery.
1. You can completely remove the thick red wire for the old optics.
2. Remove the optic sensors and their base plates too. Keep all the screws just in case you lose one.
3. Remove the bolt with the no.7 on it you should be able to lift off the old rotor plate and the metal spacer beneath it.
4. Fit the nice shiny aluminium rotor with the magnets in, be sure to line up with the keyway or locating post! Bolt it home with the no.7 bolt again (The end with the magnets fits closest to the head of the bolt).
5. Your new system is much simpler than the old and only has 3 wires, so you can disconnect any wires that go to the black box.
6. You should find two of the wires connect to your original wiring loom to a black wire and a white wire. Trace the wiring back to these connections. These are what must be connected to the two black wires from your new ignition and are the signal wires that go to the negative side of the ignition coils (one to the left and one to the right). Connect these up, one to the white and one to the black (I can't remember which is left and which is right so you'll have to look at the coils or check the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual).
7. Remove the Newtronic black box.
8. On your NEW ignition, the orange wire is the ignition + for the indicators. So you are just borrowing/sharing this with the indicators. Connect this using the joiner (in effect you will be making a t-junction).
9. Remove or terminate and insulate any old unused wiring.
10. Reconnect battery.
11. Run engine and set ignition timing one cylinder at a time (When adjusting the timing be gentle with the nuts that hold the sensors onto the base plate. Easy to over-tighten!).

Hope that is of some use to you. Just take your time and do it one step at a time. Before you know it you'll be making nice ring-a-ding noises again.
Good luck
Micron
On the street

Post by Micron »

Hi Tom,
Thanks for that, the big problem we currently have is the new rotor does fit, it's too big?

Hopefully we can sort it soon :up: 8)
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

The system you show is Newtronics - previously Pirhana and they are optically driven. The pickups include a light source and light sensor and the rotor cuts off light supply.

That other rotor is a magnet and is for a completely different system.

Here's a Honda version of the Newtronics wiring http://purelying.info/20-extraordinary- ... g-diagram/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When you say that the new rotor won't fit, did you already remove the whole Newtronics kit? Unlike most 4 strokes form that era, a two stroke system usually bolts onto the alternator rotor with a longer than stock bolt. In what way does it not fit?
Micron
On the street

Post by Micron »

tz375 wrote:The system you show is Newtronics - previously Pirhana and they are optically driven. The pickups include a light source and light sensor and the rotor cuts off light supply.

That other rotor is a magnet and is for a completely different system.

Here's a Honda version of the Newtronics wiring http://purelying.info/20-extraordinary- ... g-diagram/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When you say that the new rotor won't fit, did you already remove the whole Newtronics kit? Unlike most 4 strokes form that era, a two stroke system usually bolts onto the alternator rotor with a longer than stock bolt. In what way does it not fit?
We removed the plate, and the alternator to, also the centre bolt, which just left the magneto. The shaft with the magnets in it will not fit in to the hole that is left. I hope that makes sense?
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I think so. The pickup plate should be designed to mount on the outside of the alternator, so if that is gone now, you will probably have to mount it some other way.

I take it from those comments that the "nose" of the new rotor is too large to fit in the matching recess in the alternator rotor. If that's teh issue, turn it down or machine up a "washer-adapter" to mate the two parts.

If you are trying to bolt the new rotor directly to the crankshaft nose, that would present other difficulties but again it's just a case of making the parts match each other. When we mount a DYNA rotor straight on the end of a Honda twin crank, either the rotor has to be machined to match the crank taper or the end of the crank has to be shortened to match the rotor.
Micron
On the street

Post by Micron »

tz375 wrote:I think so. The pickup plate should be designed to mount on the outside of the alternator, so if that is gone now, you will probably have to mount it some other way.

I take it from those comments that the "nose" of the new rotor is too large to fit in the matching recess in the alternator rotor. If that's teh issue, turn it down or machine up a "washer-adapter" to mate the two parts.

If you are trying to bolt the new rotor directly to the crankshaft nose, that would present other difficulties but again it's just a case of making the parts match each other. When we mount a DYNA rotor straight on the end of a Honda twin crank, either the rotor has to be machined to match the crank taper or the end of the crank has to be shortened to match the rotor.

The replacement plate fits on to the alternator to replace the Newtronic one, the problem is the new shaft will not fit in to the middle hole, because the bottom of the shaft is too large for the opening.

I think that I should be able to work out the wiring after reading some of the replies on here, just need to sort the shaft, and then setting up the timing.

I am in discussions with the manufacturer about bits etc.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

The wiring instructions refer to the stock setup. Your wiring has been modified a bit for the existing electronic ignition.
So you may find it useful to look at the wiring diagram, which is available here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4743&start=0
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Micron
On the street

Post by Micron »

jabcb wrote:The wiring instructions refer to the stock setup. Your wiring has been modified a bit for the existing electronic ignition.
So you may find it useful to look at the wiring diagram, which is available here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4743&start=0

Thanks You :up: 8)
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Micron wrote:
tz375 wrote:I think so. The pickup plate should be designed to mount on the outside of the alternator, so if that is gone now, you will probably have to mount it some other way.

The replacement plate fits on to the alternator to replace the Newtronic one, the problem is the new shaft will not fit in to the middle hole, because the bottom of the shaft is too large for the opening.

I think that I should be able to work out the wiring after reading some of the replies on here, just need to sort the shaft, and then setting up the timing.

I am in discussions with the manufacturer about bits etc.
Just a wild idea, but why not take a stepped drill to the backing plate to open up the hole?