Electronic ignition from Classic Suzuki parts NL

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

ro55o
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: t500, kz400,bsa b175

Re: Electronic ignition from Classic Suzuki parts NL

Post by ro55o »

Hi DD, thanks for that idea, it sounds great. Might try it on the T500.
Is it this one?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-500-Fia ... Swl~VanUoh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can follow most of those instructions (I think!)
Any chance of some pics.??

Thanks
Ross
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Post by dollydog »

hi ross, yes, that's the one :D i'll sort one of my backplates out and take a photo of it for you, if you give me an hour? also some dimensions. one thing you MUST DO is put a smear of silicone grease [not any old grease] under the pick-up before you screw it to the backplate. the backplate it comes with you can throw away. i actually managed to fit one to an rg250 engine, using the rotor magnets to fire the pick-up, but with a different bracket for it to sit on. :D it's so simple, believe me.
cheers, dd.
right, here we go. can't take a photo of one on the bike [s] as they are all covered and tied up after the strong winds we've had. plus the fact it's raining again :roll: but here's a photo of the backplate and how it fits. where the slots are you will need to [carefully] drill 2 holes and tap them m4 - this is for your advance/retard adjustment. centre hole is 26mm. outside diameter is 70mm. the slots are 7mm in from the outside edge and just over 4mm wide. the slots are about 40mm long - a bit over the top, but hey ho.the 2 holes for the pick-up are tapped m3 and i usually make the plates out of 3mm thick brass, because it looks good :D the round red bit in your photo is the trigger ring [rotor], and it's got 2 magnets at 180 degrees apart. i've revved my engines up to the red line and never had a rotor fly off yet, but on systems i do for other people, i drill the bolt head in the centre, tap it m3 and put a nylon m3 penny washer under the m3 bolt. hope this helps. i've fitted these to a dt125e and an ajs 250 csr single 4 stroke, with no problems.
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.
ro55o
On the street

Post by ro55o »

Hi DD, thanks for taking the time to do that, thats very helpful.
Just one more question...
The red trigger ring...do you line one of the magnets up roughly with one timing mark on the stator, tighten bolt and time as usual from there?
Thanks
Ross
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by dollydog »

no mate, completely ignore any timing marks. find the magnets on the trigger ring and mark them with a sharpie [doesn't have to be exact, it's just to get your timing close to start with]. you need a 55mm bolt in the end of the crank with a spacer to line the trigger ring up level with the pick-up [the first one i ever did i just packed it with m8 spring washers :lol: ] and it must be a suzuki bolt with the 12mm a/f head [the bolt is tightened by a 12mm spanner]. tighten it up as tight as possible. draw a vertical line up the middle of the pick-up with sharpie. bolt the backplate on in roughly the place shown in my photo with your 2 x m4 bolts - they should not protrude more than 1mm or so through the other side, you don't want them shorting anything. right, now find whatever the timing is [can't remember the t500, so we'll call it 3mm], turn the engine over up to tdc and wind it back - use the back wheel in 3rd gear - to 3mm btdc, that's where you want it to fire. put the rotor [trigger] on over the bolt head, it fits real snugly over the flats, make sure it's pushed right on. you need one of the marks on one side of the rotor to align with the vertical line on the pick-up. get it as close as possible and use the slots to align the 2 marks [don't move the engine or you will lose your timing]. make sure everything is tight and set where it is should be close enough to fire the engine. timing it exactly is your job :D don't forget, you only need to time one cylinder and the other should be the same. just one more thing, make sure you've done your coils as i mentioned earlier. think that covers everything. sounds complicated, but it isn't. in the time it took me to type this lot i could have fitted one :D and don't forget that smear of silicone grease!
cheers, dd.
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by dollydog »

sportston, i toyed with the idea of doing a triple, but you'd need 3 x 100 degree [or whatever] backplates with the slot behind the pick-up and 2 x m4 bolt holes threaded in the gt380 stator] and 3 x pick-ups. plus of course you'd need to demagnetise one of the magnets in the rotor, otherwise it would fire all over the place :D i thought it was just too much trouble so i filed it in the fk it drawer :D of course you could put all 3 pick-ups on one full circle backplate, but the pick-up holes [the m3 ones] would have to be exactly at 120 degrees apart. like i said, too much trouble. the twins and singles are a p.o.p :D
cheers, dd.
ro55o
On the street

Post by ro55o »

Hi DD, OK, great got it!
Thanks again.

Cheers
Ross
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

dollydog wrote:sportston, i toyed with the idea of doing a triple, but you'd need 3 x 100 degree [or whatever] backplates with the slot behind the pick-up and 2 x m4 bolt holes threaded in the gt380 stator] and 3 x pick-ups. plus of course you'd need to demagnetise one of the magnets in the rotor, otherwise it would fire all over the place :D i thought it was just too much trouble so i filed it in the fk it drawer :D of course you could put all 3 pick-ups on one full circle backplate, but the pick-up holes [the m3 ones] would have to be exactly at 120 degrees apart. like i said, too much trouble. the twins and singles are a p.o.p :D
cheers, dd.
Yes I imagine it would be more troublesome. I am currently happy and hopeful that the Accent kit on my bike will be fine.
Micron
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT 250 1975

Post by Micron »

UPDATE:

We believe that we have cracked it, not literally, but we think we have solved the problem.

After a few minutes in a drill and a bit of wet & dry, the spindle on the piece that was too thick now fitted :up:, which was loosely fitted as instructed.

We did have to do a bit of re-wiring because the white and black wire from the points was no longer there, and we had to remove the old wiring from the Newtronic ignition. We run the new wires in the same sheathing supplied as part of the kit.

The plate was fitted, and as the engine is a later A, there were only one set of timing marks on the rotor for reference, the spindle was set and bolt tightened, then the timing was checked with a strobe on the LH side. All was going well, too well, that we stopped for the evening while we were still on a high :lol: :lol:
Next day, we checked the RH side, and had to make some minor adjustments to the sensor, all was looking good 8)
time to put it all back together, and give it a go?

Well Off Paul went, and he managed to get back again, with what I believed to be a smile on his face, as the visor was down and it's a dark one. My turn now, I had decided not to push it to much, because, riding a newly rebuilt bike, that just happens not to have 3 important things associated with it, plus me not in the correct attire, and very wet roads is not the best idea, although I did get it up to 60 mph.

We are hoping that all is now well, and Paulis looking at getting it MOT'd now, plus the other two things it needs :ssh:

Once that is done, he will give it a better run, but it is the best it has run since he has owned it 8) 8)

I would like to thank everyone for their input, and especially Sportston aka Tom for all of his help with the bike ( I think the forum needs a thanks section :?: )

thanks

Trev
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

Excellent! Glad to hear it is running better at last. Well done mate. Hope to hear about your joint exploits riding GT and RD together soon then!