GT550 oiling woes

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

AndyF
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T250J T350J T500x2 GT380 GT550 GT750J

GT550 oiling woes

Post by AndyF »

I have just rebuilt a GT550 following a big end failure.
Following the build, when I hold the oil pump lever open, she smokes madly on cyl 3 (RH), some on cyl 2, and bugger all on cyl 1.
I have flushed the oil tank, oil pump, and lines with kero (parrafin), tested the check valves (replaced cyl 1 inlet with one from the guy on ebay).
Prior to assembly, I ran the system on a jig driven by a battery drill, once bled, oil emanated from all banjos at the appropriate rates, I ran it for about 10 min to make sure all was happy, then fitted the system to the motor.
I can see there's no air in the lines, have bled the feed line.
when I crack the banjo on no 1 inlet with the motor running, there's absolutely no oil leakage.
Can anyone shed some light on what I might have missed?
Glyn.G
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT380 B- Yamaha FZ1

Re: GT550 oiling woes

Post by Glyn.G »

Hi AndyF,
I had the same problem with my GT380. I bought a full set off a guy from Dudley in the UK which he machines himself but unfortunately they were not up to scratch 3 leaked when I filled the lines with oil and hung them up, and 2 did not let oil pass the valve when running on the engine, possibly too strong a spring inside the valve keeping the valve shut. All worked ok as yours did when tested on the bench with a cordless drill on the pump.
In the end I Binned them all and bought some OEM valves from Partzilla . Admittedly they are for a Kawasaki triple Part No 16128-009 but they are exactly the same and fit directly on to your existing lines. The valves are working well and I'm presuming the valves on the GT550 and GT380 are the same.
Regards,
Glyn.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

try to pump oil down into the crankcase though the port where the banjo fits and see if it's blocked.
AndyF
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T250J T350J T500x2 GT380 GT550 GT750J

Post by AndyF »

G'day Glyn,
I took your advice and ordered some valves from Partzilla, still waiting for them.
In the meantime, I binned the one I'd fitted from the guy in Dudley (Bugger! I bought a dozen of them)
and robbed one out of a T500 set to get me going as I had a trip planned and couldn't wait.
I've just come back from the trip, a lap around Tasmania, I rode a Norton Commando and a mate rode the Suzi, which performed flawlessly. I will use the Kwaka ones on several of my other projects (GT380, GT750 T500R) and keep a few for spares.
Cheers, AndyF
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

That was very handy knowing about the Kawasaki alternatives. I've just ordered a set of 6 for my bike. Thanks for the advice. I was going to order a set from the guy in Dudley but, after reading this thread, decided against it.