Gas Tank Liner Questions

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Olafskii
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 72 GT750, 74 GT750, 75 T500, 76T500, 09 DR650

Gas Tank Liner Questions

Post by Olafskii »

Two questions about tank liners.

1) Do fellows recommend applying a liner to the inside of an old tank before getting the tank repainted? With the tank inside of my 1972 GT750J rusted, I'd hate to find a pinhole leak after paying a bunch to get the tank painted--and then try to line the tank.

2) Does anyone have longer term experience with gas tank liners? In other words, can anyone comment on the performance of a tank liner that was applied 5 or even 10 years ago? (My experience is that all new paints are pliable and have good adhesion. After a few years of service--not so much!). For me, the real litmus test would be the integrity and adhesion of a liner after several years. In Canada I can get POR15, Kreem, and Caswell lining products. (I think the Caswell kits are actually assembled Canada).

Olaf
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Re: Gas Tank Liner Questions

Post by rngdng »

My GT750 has had a POR-15 liner in it for about 14 years. Really tough. I have also used Caswell, but the thing I don't like about Caswell is that it's completely clear so it's difficult to see where it has and has not coated. Clean out the rust as directed by either product and coat it before painting....definitely.

Good luck,
Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........