GT380 Neutral - Hard to get

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

grumps
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT 380, 1977 (now sold)

GT380 Neutral - Hard to get

Post by grumps »

Hi again

As per my intro post I'm new to strokers.

Bought a running and MOT'd GT380 - 1977

I gave it a few short runs today and noticed that it is very difficult to get it into neutral when hot. It's easier from 2nd but still tough.

Other than that it seems to run ok but as well as my intro post of 'things to do' I need to add

High beam light not working
Forks seem twisted - hopefully only a matter of loosening the clamps and resetting
Idle can be erratic - ticks over at (an indicated 1300 rpm) but can then fade away and stall. Starts ok again though.

Workshop manual on the way so it's going to be a busy winter.

All the best

David
If money can't buy happiness - explain motorcycles and beer!
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: GT380 Neutral - Hard to get

Post by Alan H »

grumps wrote:Hi again

As per my intro post I'm new to strokers.

Bought a running and MOT'd GT380 - 1977

I gave it a few short runs today and noticed that it is very difficult to get it into neutral when hot. It's easier from 2nd but still tough.
The clutch needs adjusting or maybe an oil change would do it some good. Make sure you have the correct pull on the clutch lever and the pivot pin isn't worn.
High beam light not working
Check in the headlight for a loose connection on the yellow wire(s) and maybe check the bulb in the clocks - they go black and then fail after about 30-40 years!
Forks seem twisted - hopefully only a matter of loosening the clamps and resetting
Fingers crossed for you on that one. Always leave one clamp bolt tight so the forks can't both suddenly slip and the bike topples over.
Idle can be erratic - ticks over at (an indicated 1300 rpm) but can then fade away and stall. Starts ok again though.
This is where the fun starts. The carbs will need cleaning. If you want to do them fine, or email Barry Wilkes in Dudley who will do them for you. He does Suzuki triples professionally and has done me a couple of sets in the past with great success. PM me for his email details.
[/quote]
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
grumps
Around the block

Post by grumps »

Just great info Alan. Many thanks for that.

I have some receipts from 2015 that suggest the carbs were worked on by Genesis in Bromsgrove - but a trip up to Dudley may well be worth it.

I'll PM you.
Thanks again
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

No probs. Trouble with what passes for fuel nowadays, is that it has the crap in from crops - ethanol - and it's hygroscopic, i.e. it attracts water, so if you leave a tank part full and don't run the bike very often, the water goes to the bottom and when it gets in the carbs, basically turns to snot and bungs jets up. So if you don't use the bike much or intend leaving it for long periods without running it, either drain the tank, use premium petrol that hasn't got ethanol in, or use a fuel stabiliser.
It is possible that the engine is 'tired' or the timing may be a gnat's out, but carbs are the first stop. Do a good service on the bike though, every lidl helps!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

A quick note to add that changing the gearbox oil and setting up the clutch are all well worth doing ... but you still might find it hard to select neutral when you've stopped (engine hot). It's a quirk of the gearbox on these bikes.

I found the best approach was to select neutral JUST before the bike comes to a stop, i.e. when it's still rolling forward. And yes, it's easier to get neutral from 2nd gear rather than 1st. If you are at a standstill and in gear, push or rock the bike forward with your standing foot while feeling for neutral will also help.
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
grumps
Around the block

Post by grumps »

Thanks for those tips. If it's a 'thing' with the bike I'll just adjust the clutch and change the oil. After that I'll resist the temptation to strip the clutch.

On the tickover...it seems better when I have the fuel cap open. So, it may be just a blocked breather/vent.

I hope to get some riding in the next few days but the weather isn't that appealing right now.

Again thanks for replying.

Cheers

David