GT750 Steering Stem Mod

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

yamahale
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

GT750 Steering Stem Mod

Post by yamahale »

Hi, I know about the mod needed to accept tapered roller bearings, I have the smaller dimensioned one and want to convert. For various reasons I cannot dry fit at this time so I dont even know if it needs it. We have a lathe and a coworker who can run it, but he says the stem has to be pressed out so it can be chucked up. I really dont want to go to those lengths, do most folks just carefully grind them? Thanks
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: GT750 Steering Stem Mod

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

yamahale wrote:Hi, I know about the mod needed to accept tapered roller bearings, I have the smaller dimensioned one and want to convert. For various reasons I cannot dry fit at this time so I dont even know if it needs it. We have a lathe and a coworker who can run it, but he says the stem has to be pressed out so it can be chucked up. I really dont want to go to those lengths, do most folks just carefully grind them? Thanks
If your lathe is too small then you can just grind them, or most people use a file. On a larger lathe it is an easy job and the entire steering stem can be run between centres. Use a slower speed and you'll find the balance isn't a problem. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
yamahale
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

Post by yamahale »

Thank you!
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

I've done 3 x GT550s so far and just used emery tape. Wrap it around the stem and use a to and fro pull method and measure regularly. Doesn't cost much either!!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.