This old 550 crankcase...

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

pjac
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS125, GT185, GS450, GT550, (2) GS1000

This old 550 crankcase...

Post by pjac »

Don't know much here, this is my first post on Sundial!! Hoping someone can help...

If I start with this... could I clean the surface rust off the crank and make sure the bearings are good and leave it together? Take a chance and not split the case? Is there a way to tell if the inner crank seal is good? Etc... Or am I talking crazy?

Don't mind splitting and refurbing if necessary. Will the case areas around the crank need attention?

Clifford
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Original owner GT550L

Re: This old 550 crankcase...

Post by Clifford »

Split the cases and start from the beginning!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

I doubt that the crank is good with that much water and crud in there.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
pjac
Still in the Driveway

Post by pjac »

I suppose if the journals have any marring on them at all then it might run a resurface job up past a reasonable cost point. Back to the drawing board...
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

pjac wrote:I suppose if the journals have any marring on them at all then it might run a resurface job up past a reasonable cost point. Back to the drawing board...
In a crank rebuild you can replace any bad bearings, and the seals. Where the crank contacts the cases (the journals) is not a big issue like it would be with a car or many four-stroke bikes.

Lane

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
pjac
Still in the Driveway

Post by pjac »

So, that old nasty crank and cases are not too far gone to be used again if the crank was rebuilt with new bearings and seals and trued up?
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

pjac wrote:So, that old nasty crank and cases are not too far gone to be used again if the crank was rebuilt with new bearings and seals and trued up?
No. Cases media blast and cranks can be refurbed. Clean it as much as possible before the crank builder gets it.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

pjac wrote:So, that old nasty crank and cases are not too far gone to be used again if the crank was rebuilt with new bearings and seals and trued up?
Good news!! They can be fixed.

Lane

pjac
Still in the Driveway

Post by pjac »

Thanks Gents! That is good news
Vintageman
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suz, Yam, Honda, Kaw.

Post by Vintageman »

If you have rust on the connecting rod surfaces (Big End - Little End), The rods are no good, roller bearing and crank pin as well could be rust compromised. Sure it would run for while but it won't be long before it gets noisy and goes bad or throws roller needle about as you rev it up

Rust is the worst thing for cranks even a little if on precision surfaces is a problem sooner than later. The bike can look nice on the outside, but for example if the crank wan't turned for many moons, those mating surfaces grab moisture a little at time causing tooth decay... I mean rusting decay weakening the enamel ... i mean metal surface. The one downside of two stroke is they required roller bearing for lubrication. Those have large air gaps where air brings along moisture and the few contract surface rust first even if no liquid pored in. Your case looks like liquid did get in to crankcase, not just humid air.
Current Bikes
74 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
76 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
71 T350,
70 T350,
74 GT380,
75 T500,
73 GT550,
75 GT750,
72 Yamaha DS7 (R5 upgrade),
77 Yamaha RD400 (Daytona Cyls),
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

You may be better off finding a good crank on Ebay , with new rods , bearings and seals your going to be in for over $500 i bet :shock:
the older i get the faster i was