Starter clutch question

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Magnus.H
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Gt550

Starter clutch question

Post by Magnus.H »

Hello guys
I just bought myself some work 8)
The last owner of the bike started to disassemble the starter/starter clutch but never got it Working.
I'm looking at it now and find the construction a bit trippie.

This is the old model starter clutch with the starter gear in two pieces, exactly how does
The gear and the gearhub connect? Should they be a really tight and connect by just friction?
The reason I'm asking is that the hub has sized to the axel and and both the gear and gear hubLooks like they might have been pretty warm, and might have worn down.
Is it possible to find a new brass-bearing for the hub or would it be best to try to find a whole "new" one? I probably need to measure the axel before reassembly to, the oil seal seem to wobble when the axle is turned (looks very beaten up to)
Any other tips and tricks are well welcome
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Magnus.H on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Re: Starter clutch question

Post by GTandcbr »

Hi, welcome to the forum. There are two types of starter clutch fitted to the 550. The early ones were dogged with problems and Suzuki changed to a Borg Warner system. If you have the early type this will help you
http://www.3cyl.com/mraxl/gt/manuals/gt ... 550-44.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If the starter clutch is as bad as you say you may be better to look for another there are plenty around on Ebay etc. You can use the newer starter clutch but they are very different but still fit. Look here too
http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/mraxl_G ... ins/page-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
Magnus.H
On the street

Post by Magnus.H »

Thank you :up:
Uploaded some pictures of the mess now. Looks pretty beat up.
The clutch itself looks allright dough.
If I have understood things correctly, I'll need to switch out the whole clutch basket if I would like to switch it fore the newer model? i think I would be allright with the older one if I find myself a new gear and maybe a renovation kit with new rollers and springs. (Not building a daily driver :wink: )
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GTandcbr »

That gear wheel and centre should be in one peice not 2 ! The rollers and springs are availble for servicing the unit.
Look here too. https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/blog/2 ... er-clutch/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GT750- ... XQrhdTTkz1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Magnus.H
On the street

Post by Magnus.H »

That explains a thing or two :D so they where press-fitted together when new?
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GTandcbr »

I think so. I've never seen one in pieces before.
Magnus.H
On the street

Post by Magnus.H »

I've found several starter clutch gears without the hub for sale on eBay so I just thought they should look like that :wth: but didn't understand how it was supposed to work like that.
I just need to look for a complete one now then :D
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GTandcbr »

How about this in germany?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kupplung-komp ... xyC5dSOq74" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Magnus.H
On the street

Post by Magnus.H »

Looks good but my clutchbasket/starter clutch looks allright, it's the starter clutch gear I'll be needing