bypassing oil pump?

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Bob
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt550

bypassing oil pump?

Post by Bob »

i have a 77gt550 - looks like there were past issues with the oil pump - thinking maybe just mixing gas and oil and disabling/bypassing the pump but leaving all the lines on there if I decide to do a more complete repair after I get it running.

Good idea/bad idea? Any tips or what not to do's if I go down this road? thanks --
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Re: bypassing oil pump?

Post by GTandcbr »

Bad idea I'm afraid. The oil pump feeds oil in different measures to the crank bearings and the cylinder walls. The oil pumps fitted to these bikes are very reliable and do an excellent job of lubrication. It regulates the oil at different speeds. I would try to find out why the pump was by passed you can service them fairly easily. Look here http://www.pinkpossum.com/GT750/Oilpump.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The pump is the same as 750 in design
Of course the other thing about premix, run out of fuel or fuel feed issue means no oil in the engine....one finger over the clutch just in case!
Last edited by GTandcbr on Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: bypassing oil pump?

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Generally a bad idea as GTandcbr offers - you can do a search on the topic on this site and find loads of previous comment.

If you are just unsure whether it is working, starting up on pre-mix till you have a chance to confirm things are working is standard practice - I do that with any new rebuild. But only till I've confirmed things are working as they should be. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !