Where to begin?

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

ghawes
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 73 GT750

Where to begin?

Post by ghawes »

I have no idea where to even begin with this. It's a 73 GT750 that had a rebuild begin almost 30 years ago. The bike ran, and was put in a broken down old shed 26 years ago, and it's time to see if it can run again. I am trying to upload the pics I took with my phone, but apparently they're too big, so you'll have to take my word that it's rough.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Re: Where to begin?

Post by rngdng »

To post pictures you need to use a photo hosting site like photobucket. Where to start is a tough one. I would try to determine the engine's condition, and go from there.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Re: Where to begin?

Post by GTandcbr »

First thing has to be empty and flush the petrol tank get rid of old fuel. Then strip and clean carbs. Change transmission oil and 2 t oil. If the motor does turn over spin it round a few times by hand.check and clean airbox.Now if the engine has been sitting for 20 odd years the crank seals are likely to be shot. Now here you have a choice either fill the crankcase with deisel or fuel oil mixture to try and protect the seals turn it over by hand for a few days or just try to start it. You will of course need a fully charged battery.
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j