Rev counter confusion

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Ramjam
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gsx 750R, GPZ 750, GT380

Rev counter confusion

Post by Ramjam »

I have a 1976 GT380 and i had to take the clock off a year and a half ago to reinstall an ignition switch.

Putting it all back together became a little confusing though. I have what appears to be a rev counter cable but i can't see where it has to go on the rev counter. (??) Some posts are even saying that the rev counter on that model is even electronic.

Please put me out of my misery

thanks

MJ
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Re: Rev counter confusion

Post by GTandcbr »

The Suzuki GT range uses a cable and mechanical tachometer. One end fits into the right hand engine cover and the other end screws onto the back of the tachometer. There is a shaft inside the cable which rotates with the engine, make sure it is well lubricated. Slot the inner shaft to the middle of the hole and tighten the outer slined nut finger tight both ends. Be careful not to tighten it too much as the splined nut is not too strong even when new.
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

GTandcbr wrote:The Suzuki GT range uses a cable and mechanical tachometer. One end fits into the right hand engine cover and the other end screws onto the back of the tachometer. There is a shaft inside the cable which rotates with the engine, make sure it is well lubricated. Slot the inner shaft to the middle of the hole and tighten the outer slined nut finger tight both ends. Be careful not to tighten it too much as the splined nut is not too strong even when new.
So there is no way it can be electronic?
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GTandcbr »

Not unless an aftermarket tacho has been fitted. Is there a large round threaded access hole on the back of the meter?. If so it is mechanical
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

GTandcbr wrote:Not unless an aftermarket tacho has been fitted. Is there a large round threaded access hole on the back of the meter?. If so it is mechanical
The hole is there alright, but i can put my finger into it which seems not correct. On the other dial, the speedo, there is clearly an extention tube with a thread on it which comes out of the unit. On the rev counter dial though, all there is is a hole. Perhaps the previous owver pushed the cable deep insie and improvised holding it in place?

what you think?

MJ
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GTandcbr »

That sounds like its not complete.both the speedometer and the tachometer have similar fitments on the back and you cartainly shouldn't be able to get your finger in there!
If you look here http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/blog/20 ... nd-labels/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I know these are for a GT500 but yours should look very similar. Look halfway down the page you will see the clocks in bits.