can't switch into first gear t500

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

PippiFyrecracker
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 T500, 1983 SP250

can't switch into first gear t500

Post by PippiFyrecracker »

was having clutch issues, tried tightening the clutch screw on the side of the engine then loosing 1/4 turn once i felt the screw touch the rod, then tightened the nut... usually this would fix the issue, can't switch into first gear but second gear is working....
Vintageman
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suz, Yam, Honda, Kaw.

Re: can't switch into first gear t500

Post by Vintageman »

was the bike working fine and this just happened? Or, did you just for example have the engine a part and put it back together and this was the outcome, Or, I suppose you just got it this way and no nothing of the history?
Current Bikes
74 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
76 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
71 T350,
70 T350,
74 GT380,
75 T500,
73 GT550,
75 GT750,
72 Yamaha DS7 (R5 upgrade),
77 Yamaha RD400 (Daytona Cyls),
PippiFyrecracker
Around the block

PAST INFO: its not really a new issue, its an issue that keeps re-occurring needing adjustments every few months, the first time it was inmpossible to get into neutral at a light, it would only click between 1st and 2nd. it's at its full adjustment now I think. this is my 3rd year riding this bike. it breaks in some way or another just about every other time I ride it, I've been successfully doing my own repairs and learning along the way.

WHAT I"VE DONE SOFAR: there are 3 points to adjust the clutch. usually I loosen the lever and remove the rubber seal from the side of the engine I loosen the nut then slightly adjust the screw until i feel a little tension, then back it off 1/4 of a turn and tighten the nut without turning the screw, then adjust the other two places accordingly....

THOUGHTS: I've been doing some more reading, and considering I don't have any other issues with switching into most gears, I'm assuming its nothing to do with the cable? maybe something to do with the clutch plates? or shifting forks? I don't know anything about this stuff, so I'm hoping someone can give me some insight on where to check next on these issues.

ISSUE: basically when I'm at a stop every time since 2 rides ago, I go to shift into first and it won't click, doesn't matter how hard I press. eventually if I do it really fast and hard it will work. after maybe 6-10 tries, stomping on it. I can switch into first when moving from second. I've tried rolling it forward and rocking it. but if that was the issue, it wouldn't be happening everytime.
since last adjustments I'm also hitting more false neutrals, neutrals between the gears unless I hold the shifter up until it catches, used to only be between the higher gears....
Last edited by PippiFyrecracker on Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PippiFyrecracker
Around the block

shift issue 1st gear t500

also I haven't had the engine apart, I don't know much of the history except it's been working for 2 years fairly well
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

Have you changed the oil recently?
PippiFyrecracker
Around the block

no, it was having issues before hand, and this oil barely has any miles on it. will take it out and measure it again when the weather permits...
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

Reason I ask, is not every bolt on the bottom of the T500 is an oil drain bolt...
PippiFyrecracker
Around the block

don't worry I always pull the same screw, and its the lowest point on the right hand side of the bike....
this one here http://www.vjmog.com/ftopict-6445.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but thanks for asking I found this bulletin and you were right to worry i guess...
you are referring to the issue on the last bulletin in the link
http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/techb ... %201-5.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

any other clues as to what it may be or parts to check up on?
karl pa
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT

Post by karl pa »

I am wandering if your shifter shaft adjuster is loose and moving,If the shifter shaft arm is not centered on the stopper,it could explain the false neutrals.To check this you will have to pull the clutch cover.
76 GT185
77 GT250
77 GT380
76 GT500
73 GT550
73 GT750
74 GT750
71 T250 scrambler
75 T500 cafe
karl pa
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT

Post by karl pa »

I must have been thinking of my yamaha, dont believe suzuki has adjustment,I did have a stopper bolt work loose and throw off the shifter. It could also be shifter drum pawls worn.
76 GT185
77 GT250
77 GT380
76 GT500
73 GT550
73 GT750
74 GT750
71 T250 scrambler
75 T500 cafe
PippiFyrecracker
Around the block

Resurrecting this old post.. having issues again... it cleared up last year when everything was adjusted... it was a fine line between too Much and too little... cant switch into firat gear now
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Before you adjust the clutch at the motor, wind in the lever adjuster to be as loose as possible and also the bottom end clutch cable adjuster. They are there to take up slack and adjust the free play.

Adjust it at the pushrod adjuster to just touch and back it out a "poofteenth", then take the slack out of the cable. That "should" do the trick.

If not, you may want to pull the side cover and see what's going on with the lifter and see if it's worn or sloppy.
PippiFyrecracker
Around the block

Yes that's what I've been doing. But I've been having to adjust it more and more often so I think I will pull off that cover as something is on its way out...
dorT500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75 T500M since '93 Ridden it over 100,000 mi

Post by dorT500 »

PippiFyrecracker wrote:Yes that's what I've been doing..............
You had said you were backing off a 1/4 turn...... As tz375 was alluding to.....just a hair out on the adjusting screw in this case, not a 1/4 turn as most are use to.

But :) , you just posted in the wanted section that you are looking for a new gear shift lever.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13476" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

:idea: Are you finding that your lever/shaft splines are a bit messed up?

Slipping a bit downshifting to 1st gear but catching while up-shifting?

Installing new lever splines on even slightly damaged shaft splines is just going to mess up both. Got pics? If you are in a hurry, maybe you could get away with buying a used T/GT500 lever with just fair to good splines for now.

Here is a free image hosting site... :arrow: https://imgur.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Just wish I knew for sure which levers from other models would work for you. I would like a nice spare lever myself. GT380 lever, as mentioned by a member in the thread below, is still available from Suzuki. Probably around $45.00 from a Suzuki dealership if you ask them to match an Internet vendors price. I would like a nice spare lever myself. If it's just a matter of clearance using a lever from another model, maybe just a few washers to shim out the left front footrest bracket bolts would work. I think there is a pretty good chance the splines will be the same.

This may or may not come in handy later.....viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Good Luck on whatever you decide.
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

Here is the gear change/linkage that Erin has been struggling with:

It's failings do not explain why Erin has had to adjust the clutch so often though.

Cheers Geoff