can't switch into first gear t500

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

dorT500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75 T500M since '93 Ridden it over 100,000 mi

Re: can't switch into first gear t500

Post by dorT500 »

Ah...ssooo.

Thank you for posting the pic.
PippiFyrecracker
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 T500, 1983 SP250

Post by PippiFyrecracker »

Thanks so much Geoff!! I haven't been able to figure out how link photos or vids... I have done the adjustment a couple more times with all the steps... the only improvement is I can hit 1st gear when riding. But not when at a stop and not when the bike isn't running... I might have access to a borrowed shifter for the day... I will switch it to stock if so and see how that goes... if no success. Then I will remove the side covers. Check the worm drive and pull apart the clutch to measure the plates... a guy at a local shop suggested it sounds like the tumblers... I'm unfamiliar with the term does this bike even have those?... haven't had to dig that deep yet in this bike...
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Sounds like two issues. First is shy is it dropping out of adjustment so fast. Could be a soft push rod end or wear in some related clutch lifting parts.

Second issue is that linkage. I can't see the lower shift link, to see if it's parallel to the one on the shifter arm but it looks like the rod may be flexing when trying to get it into first.

But the main issue is that when the clutch doesn't lift and separate like a Platex bra, then the shifter will be harder to engage, so I'd star by pulling the lifter side cover and inspect the parts for wear first and then think about opening up the clucth and checking the pressure plate for signs of wear.