GT750 Oil tank cap issue

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Willie
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750, GS1100E, GS1100G

GT750 Oil tank cap issue

Post by Willie »

I need a new cap for my oil tank but I don't know which of the two styles offered is correct. One style is for certain yr models and the other for the remaining yrs.
Does anyone know if the caps are interchangeable? I'd know which one goes to mine but I don't know what model yr my tank is and I don't care if its the correct style as long as it screws on.
Thanks again,
Willie
I've been everywhere from Bangor all the way to mighty Maine!
pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Re: GT750 Oil tank cap issue

Post by pearljam724 »

Willie wrote:I need a new cap for my oil tank but I don't know which of the two styles offered is correct. One style is for certain yr models and the other for the remaining yrs.
Does anyone know if the caps are interchangeable? I'd know which one goes to mine but I don't know what model yr my tank is and I don't care if its the correct style as long as it screws on.
Thanks again,
Willie
If I'm not mistaken. The earlier year caps had a screen inside the cap or something pointless. Mine is a 76 and the one I ordered was fine. Regardless of the one you order. It is my understanding that some new reproduction caps come with a breather hole through the center of the cap and some don't. Just be sure yours has a small hole in it. If it doesn't make one. It will allow the pump to pump efficiently because the oil tank can breath. Some caps had a diaphragm inserted under them with the same breather hole. The diaphragm was designed to prevent oil from splashing out the breather hole inserted in the cap. Which is kind of funny. You don't need a diaphragm to prevent that. No oil is going to splash out the cap through a hole the size of a ball point pen. Just order one, it will work.
Image Image