Clutch Cable replacement

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

sxk122
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1966 S32-2, 1986 FA-50 (sold)

Clutch Cable replacement

Post by sxk122 »

I have a 1966 Suzuki s32-2. The clutch cable is sticky and on it's way out. I have a new cable to install. However, the workshop manual doesn't actually tell me how to replace the cable. I've never done this before so I'm a bit lost on what to do. Do I have to drain and break open the case to replace the cable? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon
rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Re: Clutch Cable replacement

Post by rbond »

I am not familiar with that model. If the cable connects to the engine just ahead of where the countershaft sprocket is, then that should be a separate cover. Three screws and it pops off. Run the adjuster on the cover all the way in, unhook the cable end from the throwout mechanism, and pull it out. Remove the two screws holding the throwout in place to regrease it. Run you adjuster all the way in on the handlebar and make the 'big' adjustment on the case first and finer adjustments at the 'bar. These procedures are for later models, so it may not apply to yours. Odds are they are the same though.
PippiFyrecracker
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 T500, 1983 SP250

Post by PippiFyrecracker »

hey guys! I fear I might run into an issue if i dont figure this out, while replacing a clutch cable on the t500 i took off the case cover, all six screws are cleaned and accounted for, but a smaller screw and most of a all a small cam fell out of the case when I removed it... I posted photos on a fb page, if anyone recognizes the pieces please lemme know... I just need to know where to put them when reassembling, I also have a sneaky suspicion the small screw is from elsewhere seems as how I didnt remove a small screw.. but it wasnt very dirty so im worried...
hear is a clink to the photo, i have more, but I dont know how to post them https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

PippiFyrecracker wrote:hey guys! I fear I might run into an issue if i dont figure this out, while replacing a clutch cable on the t500 i took off the case cover, all six screws are cleaned and accounted for, but a smaller screw and most of a all a small cam fell out of the case when I removed it... I posted photos on a fb page, if anyone recognizes the pieces please lemme know... I just need to know where to put them when reassembling, I also have a sneaky suspicion the small screw is from elsewhere seems as how I didnt remove a small screw.. but it wasnt very dirty so im worried...
hear is a clink to the photo, i have more, but I dont know how to post them https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The locating dowel appears to be sorted, I am guessing the bolt could have come from somewhere else and been thrown in there by contact with the chain as it revolved. Try looking above the chain. Are there any holes where bolts should be from brackets or something?