Is it possible to check oil pump by using starter?

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

sonnyjim
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 GT750

Is it possible to check oil pump by using starter?

Post by sonnyjim »

Hi all, I have a new to me 74 GT750 that has been sitting for about 10 years ("ran when park")

I was just wondering about the dangers of checking the oil pump function by using the starter.

I currently have the carbs off the bike. I was thinking I could remove the banjos and turn the bike over with the starter to see if oil comes out? I would remove the plugs when I do this so I get higher rpm.

I figure if I do this I will confirm the pump is working and the lines are clear. Of course it won't confirm proper check valve function. I just want to the run the bike without damaging it due to oil starvation.
karl pa
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT

Re: Is it possible to check oil pump by using starter?

Post by karl pa »

No danger in using starter, hold oil pump arm wide open while cranking. the three lines feeding the main bearings will pump at much slower rate than cylinder lines. Probably would be good to drain oil tank and replace with fresh oil.
To check valves, remove lines, fill with oil or remove while full, and hang with banjos down, be careful when removing oil pump, it has a pin through drive shaft.
76 GT185
77 GT250
77 GT380
76 GT500
73 GT550
73 GT750
74 GT750
71 T250 scrambler
75 T500 cafe
sonnyjim
On the street

Post by sonnyjim »

karl pa wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:52 pm No danger in using starter, hold oil pump arm wide open while cranking. the three lines feeding the main bearings will pump at much slower rate than cylinder lines. Probably would be good to drain oil tank and replace with fresh oil.
To check valves, remove lines, fill with oil or remove while full, and hang with banjos down, be careful when removing oil pump, it has a pin through drive shaft.
Ah, well. I decided to take the pump off to see if could pump a little bit of oil through the line. I could! But, i noticed a pine hole leak in one of the line right near the pump. So, I drained the coolant and will be take the octopus off. I presume i can replace the line itself.

I live in a very remote town, but luckily there is a snowmobile dealer that typically carries oil injection line. Hopefully they have the right size. Otherwise it is a 1-2 week wait for any part that cannot be bought at a small town hardware store.Perhaps I will replace all the lined while I'm at it.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Replacing them all is a sensible option. If you search on here for 'oil lines' (quick links, top left of the screen) I'm sure the subject has been covered.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
sonnyjim
On the street

Post by sonnyjim »

Alan H wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:43 am Replacing them all is a sensible option. If you search on here for 'oil lines' (quick links, top left of the screen) I'm sure the subject has been covered.
The one that is leaking was definitely from friction due to placement, not necessarily age. Though you're right as every other piece of rubber and plastic on the bike needs replacement.

That said, the only replacement i have found online is somewhat involved and is a bit of patch job using glue etc. Though i will do this, eventually.

A lot of products are not available to me, including loctite 401, though i can probably find substitutes.