Stupid question but -- which way to fit crank seals

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Rolf
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1968 T20 (once owned T500)

Stupid question but -- which way to fit crank seals

Post by Rolf »

Hi

Working on my T20, getting to the outside crank seals. Which way do they go in? Spring inside, facing crank - would make sense to keep case compression high. Or the other way round in the gearbox end, enabling oil from the box to lubricate crank bearing?

Lots of advice out there. Which is the correct answer?
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: Stupid question but -- which way to fit crank seals

Post by Alan H »

Y'know, it's always nice to see a short introduction before asking for help or parts.
The old 'hello, I'm ******, I live near ******* and interested in ****** models. My biking experience is ***********.'
(Put your details instead of the starry bits.)

You might get a reply then too. :wth:
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Rolf
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1968 T20 (once owned T500)

Post by Rolf »

OK, heres an intro!

I'm Rolf, Denmark, motorcycle rider and tinkerer for 40+ years. Many bikes, many makes and a lot into vintage stuff also.

In 1979 I bought a 1968 T20 and had very good times with it. Fast, wild, fun. I had it out again some years later, 1984, but mechanically it was getting tired. It was then stored away for some day in the future. Now some day is here and it is under rebuild. Will not restore it totally but aim at good looks and very good mechanicals.

However its been a long time since I worked on this type of engine, so will need advice and will be warmly welcomed!

Before:
t20-1.jpg
Right now:
t20-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Thanks for that, we like to know a bit about people and pictures are always good

Seals go with spring to the pressure side - always. So on your seals, the spring is towards the inside of the individual crankcase, whether it's a single, twin or multi cylinder engine.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.