Gt380 transmission shifting issue

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

kayakboy
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt380

Gt380 transmission shifting issue

Post by kayakboy »

Hi folks! I posted a gt380 "stuck in neutral " post a while back and I did get help on getting the shifter unstuck. I believe I put
the Pawl in the right position, by the photo posted from all the kind help I received. The Spring at the end of the shift arm
near the pawl was not in the correct position so I put the spring tabs on each side of the post. I put the cover back on .
Now! Here is my problem... The shifter is real sloppy. By the gear light I can get Neutral , 2nd and 3rd only! and the other
issue is.. I can shift without engaging the clutch. In fact , when I engage the clutch it has no baring on the transmission at all.
When I put the trans in gear, it is in gear and when I shift the trans in neutral , it is in neutral.
I adjusted the clutch twice, thinking this was the problem but apparently not!
I hope you smart guy's out there can help me with this problem... Thanks!!!!
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: Gt380 transmission shifting issue

Post by Alan H »

Gears mostly don't engage when the engine is not running. Try rocking the transmission back and forth as you try to change gear - or turn the engine over while trying to shift.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
PippiFyrecracker
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 T500, 1983 SP250

Post by PippiFyrecracker »

just wondering if you figured out what was going on? My bike was fine the other day, then on the way home I was having to stomp into first and fight into 2nd... once I got home and parked its been stuck in neutral ever since... I tried checking the clutch screw on the side of the case... following instructions, as well as the clutch handle... not sure what else to check...
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Check oil first, then clutch adjustment.
If you have to stamp on the shift lever, there's something seriously wrong.
NEVER stamp gears in.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
kayakboy
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt380

Post by kayakboy »

I took off the Clutch Case...(drain the oil out) the gear on the end of shifter leaver was out of position with pawl gear.Guy's on this forum helped me with this issue, with photo's on how the 2 gears should mesh. If you have a manual you can see the 2 gears ,it won't show how they mesh . If you have to pull the Clutch case , and I did to correct my problem, you may have to pull the Clutch basket as well, it will give you room to work. The reason I say this is, there is another issue that comes in play, and that is the shift arm return
spring. Mine was all on one side of the post. So I meshed the 2 gears together(no photo ,sorry) and put the return spring prongs one or each side of the post(shift arm stopper) put it all back together..... shifting was not right! found out much later thru the other forum "the Kettle Clinic". that the return spring had to be "loaded". fixed that issue and all is good! Good Luck!
Dave