T500 shoulder rims- question about mikesxs wheel/ new spokes

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

sbaugz
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, S32-2, GT185

T500 shoulder rims- question about mikesxs wheel/ new spokes

Post by sbaugz »

I have bailed on my plan to use a modern USD fork front end on my T500 for many reasons.

Instead, I plan to go with some shouldered rims. I would like to drop down to an 18" front.

I found a couple of wheels at mikesxs seen here:
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/34-3181.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/34-3182.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just wondering if anyone has experience with mikesxs rims? Specifically, will the spoke angle work with these rims since the drums are pretty large and the angle is going to be steeper.

Also wondering how I go about getting the spokes for this? Ordering up the rears is a no-brainer since it will be same as stock, but I wonder how I go about getting front spokes for the downsized 18" rim?

As always, thanks for the great help you guys are giving me.
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Re: T500 shoulder rims- question about mikesxs wheel/ new sp

Post by titan performance »

Those rims are a good price. Are you building the wheels yourself? Our wheel builder would cut more thread onto the stock spokes if it were needed I should think.
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
joolstacho
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AS50, GS500, GT500, ex GSXR750 slabbie

Post by joolstacho »

The spoke angles are important, and unless the seller can guarantee that they are drilled to the correct angle to suit your hub, you'd be better off getting undrilled wheels, then you can drill the nipple holes to suit.
(Actually not that easy to do... you have to judge and drill the correct angle by eye, but it's perfectly possible to do ok).
sbaugz
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, S32-2, GT185

Post by sbaugz »

titan performance wrote:Those rims are a good price. Are you building the wheels yourself? Our wheel builder would cut more thread onto the stock spokes if it were needed I should think.
I would have had Buchanan do it, but instead I actually ended up getting a set of front and rear complete wheels and hubs from Paul miller.
Came with front and rear polished hubs, new bearings, NOS rims and spokes- all laced and trued. Cost me a fortune but it will actually be cheaper than getting new wheels made up from Buchanan. I wish you guys (Titan) were USA based. I'd love some rearsets, pipes and seat from you but the currency conversion and shipping is a killer.
celt_rock
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, GT380, GS400

Post by celt_rock »

sbaugz wrote:
titan performance wrote: I wish you guys (Titan) were USA based. I'd love some rearsets, pipes and seat from you but the currency conversion and shipping is a killer.
+1. That goes for vinyl records as well... just paid $35 for two records that should have been $12!
Slow and steady may win the race, but without loud and fast it's just a waste
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

Best get saving then ! Or sell a kidney.
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Smaller front wheel will need speedo recalibrating for road use as it will read fast.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Powderfinger
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT380, T500

Post by Powderfinger »

I was wondering about the same thing. I have 2 Akront rims both 18 and appropriate widths for front and rear. I was thinking I could use spokes for the T250 or T350 with drum brake for the front.

Didn't they have 18 inch fronts? The hubs look the same as the 500. Does anyone know if they actually are?
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

titan performance wrote:Those rims are a good price. Are you building the wheels yourself? Our wheel builder would cut more thread onto the stock spokes if it were needed I should think.
I hope not.....

Threads are rolled on spokes which is much stronger. You wheel builder probably has thread rollers.