T350 Kick Start Slipping

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

rocc99
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 72 T350, 98 Bandit S

T350 Kick Start Slipping

Post by rocc99 »

Hello,

First, a brief introduction since I failed to do so in my previous posts. I'm located out of Pittsburgh, recently purchased a 72 T350, had a friend of mine who owns a shop do a cafe build on it, and I am now trying to wrap up the last few bugs so I can get it on the road (and keep it there).
Here's a picture of it in its near finished state: http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/rocc9 ... 8.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of the bugs that I am currently working on is the kickstarter. Everything on the kickstarter looks like it's in good working condition, we also replaced the return spring since that had failed. But, when you go to kick the bike, it will completely miss/slip 1 out of every 5 or so times. For now, I've just sort of been engaging it by hand to make sure it's grabbing then kicking it over, but I would like to get it sorted out entirely. Anyways, we've sort of come to the conclusion that it must be the gear/pawl being slightly worn. Not sure if it's one or the other...

I've been able to locate a new pawl on ebay, but finding the gear has been impossible. It looks like it should be part # 26240-18001 (or 26240-18002), which is discontinued. Does anyone know where I might be able to source one of these? I might be able to find a used one, but I worry that I may just have the same issue...

Thanks for the help!
rocc99
Around the block

Re: T350 Kick Start Slipping

Post by rocc99 »

Been searching high and low and still having trouble.

I found this website which says they carry the part: http://www.nos-suzuki-parts.com/page.9. ... &category=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anybody have any experience with them? Doesn't look like the most professional site I've ever been on...though, they did say they would post on Ebay if buyers had concerns...
mike1161
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1970 T350, 2012 Triumph Thruxton

Post by mike1161 »

I've had something pretty similar on my T350, it's a 1970. I did a complete restore, and when I had the motor apart, everything looked fine with the kickstart gears, pawl, spring, etc... I don't know if it did this before I bought it, since I bought it in non-running condition & never tried to start it before teardown. Anyway, what mine does is on maybe 1 out of 10 kicks or so, it will "miss", and I'll hear a loud metallic pop from the kickstart area. Not quite sure what it is.... I really don't want to open up the motor at this point, so I just do what you are doing, first carefully make sure the kick lever is engaged, then follow through with the kick. Guess this wasn't much help solving the problem, but at least you know there's somebody else who has experienced the same issue.
The website you posted for the gear might be a good bet, their price is certainly better than some others. Here is another option, but pretty expensive:
http://www.classicsuzukiparts.nl/parts/26240-18001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will watch this thread to see if you come up with something, good luck.
Current bikes: 1970 Suzuki T350, 2012 Thruxton
Previous bikes: '71 Honda CL350, '82 Yamaha 550 Seca, '86 Yamaha RD350, '88 Suzuki RG500 Gamma, '86 Suzuki VS700, '75 Kawasaki Mach II (S3), '12 Triumph Bonneville T100, '08 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

Did you replace the pawl, the roller, and the spring when you had it apart? I had a similar issue with a T500 and I found the surface where the pawl was engaging on the gear had worn so that there was a section where it would slip every time. If so, you will want to look for a replacement or consider trying to resurface it by getting a good welder to add some metal and resurface it with a dremel.

I like the bike but you may find your back hurting after a while with the stock pegs and clip-ons.

Jim
mike1161
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1970 T350, 2012 Triumph Thruxton

Post by mike1161 »

Not sure if you're asking me or rocc99 that question, but I didn't replace any of the parts you mentioned. Didn't notice anything worn when I had it apart, but I could have missed something. Thanks, good tips, though.
Mine really is not too bad at all, I've just been carefully making sure the kicker is firmly engaged by pushing down an inch or so, then finishing the kick. Seems to work for now....
Current bikes: 1970 Suzuki T350, 2012 Thruxton
Previous bikes: '71 Honda CL350, '82 Yamaha 550 Seca, '86 Yamaha RD350, '88 Suzuki RG500 Gamma, '86 Suzuki VS700, '75 Kawasaki Mach II (S3), '12 Triumph Bonneville T100, '08 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

mike1161 wrote:Not sure if you're asking me or rocc99 that question, but I didn't replace any of the parts you mentioned. Didn't notice anything worn when I had it apart, but I could have missed something. Thanks, good tips, though.
Mine really is not too bad at all, I've just been carefully making sure the kicker is firmly engaged by pushing down an inch or so, then finishing the kick. Seems to work for now....
I guess technically I was asking rocc99 but if it helps you as well, I'll take the bonus result! :up:

Jim
rocc99
Around the block

Post by rocc99 »

Thanks for all the replies. Even thought the parts looked good, I assume that even the smallest variance can cause it to slip. But, I went ahead and had my mechanic replace with NOS and haven't had a slip since.

Finding both parts was a bit of a challenge though. I was able to locate the gear and pawl from a shop called Archway International (just did google searches for the parts numbers and lucked out). Though, once the parts arrived, it was clear that the gear was NOS but the pawl was definitely not. I ended up having to eat the couple of bucks for the pawl and found another one on ebay. Anyways, like I said, hasn't given me an issue since.
rocc99
Around the block

Post by rocc99 »

diamondj wrote:I like the bike but you may find your back hurting after a while with the stock pegs and clip-ons.
Couldn't agree more - though I've only been able to ride it for less than an hour, I can tell you it is definitely in need of rearsets. I posted on another thread about the rearsets...I bought a unversal kit and had trouble with clearance issues when mounting to the passenger pegs (seems like I would hit the kickstand with my boot). Anyways, I plan on cutting out aluminum brackets over the winter which will allow me to change the location of the mount slightly and give me the clearance I need. That's if I get the bike running properly first :wink: .