72 T500 Rear Brake Return Spring Puzzle

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Syd
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 72 T500J, 72 Kaw H1-B, 71 CB750 K1, 67 A7SS

72 T500 Rear Brake Return Spring Puzzle

Post by Syd »

Can anyone help me with the following total puzzle relating to the rear brake return spring for my T500 which I am assembling following my restoration. The rear brake spring fits onto the bike frame and brake pedal boss alright, however as you can see from the attached photos, the pedal sits far too high in the wrong position. I have tried fitting the spring in every possible position, however the pedal just will not sit correctly. I am starting to wonder if the spring is wrong size for this bike as I do recall that the brake pedal was sitting up too high before I pulled the bike apart to start the restoration. The T500 rear brake pedal is new and was supplied by G T Reiner as the original one was damaged. Can anyone tell me if the following spring dimensions are correct. Main spring ID = 31.77mm which fits over the brake pedal boss fine. The straight spring section with a hook is approx 37.5mm long from the inside of the hook to the centre line of the main spring body. The second curved spring section with a hook is approx 32mm long from the inside of the hook to the centre line of the spring body. The spring sections with hooks are positioned a 90 degrees from each other.

The brake pedal does no touch the left hand foot rest as there is clearance between these two items - is this correct or should the pedal sit under and be held by the foot rest under tension which would be about the correct position for the pedal? Any help would be appreciated with this puzzle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: 72 T500 Rear Brake Return Spring Puzzle

Post by Alan H »

Fit the linkeage to the brake and all will be OK.
The spring helps the return as well as lifting the pedal.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Syd
To the on ramp

Post by Syd »

Thanks but not 100% sure what you mean, can you clarify what your suggesting?
Syd
To the on ramp

Post by Syd »

All sorted...Thanks for the info, big learning curve and all working fine now.