GT750 left side engine case

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

super
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550, GT 750, GS750, GR650, GS850, GS1100

GT750 left side engine case

Post by super »

I recently purchased a new used left side engine case for my GT750 project. The original engine case had been cracked and the previous owner did a dodgy job of welding it back together. After I got it off I see that the cam shaft for the points remained attached in the engine case. However, my new used engine case didn't come with a cam shaft attached.

Is the cam shaft pressed into the engine case? Is there a way to transfer the cam shaft to my new used engine case without going to a machine shop to get it pressed on?

I'm adding a picture to show what I'm talking about. The engine case on the bottom is the old one with the cam shaft still attached. The top one has no cam shaft.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: GT750 left side engine case

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Should just be able to gently tap it out - there is a dowel pin (item 24) in the side of the shaft which can be seen in the photo of the lower one which of course need to be removed first. You can get some corrosion lock on the spacer (item 22) but yours looks pretty clean. And while you have it apart, you can check the two bearings and replace the o-ring (item 23) and the seal (item 21).

I have the parts list on line at this page, or you can use Alpha Sports or Dillons. Look under the 'Starter Clutch' fiche listing. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

If you get hold of the dowel pin with a good pair of pliers and twist the little sod, it should come straight out (not threaded). Don't put it in a safe place as I did with the one from the 550, but if (when) you do, it's 3mm diameter by about 7mm long and easy to make on a lathe if you're careful. 2.97mm diameter is too small and 3.05mm is too big. I got it right 3rd attempt.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
super
On the street

Post by super »

Thanks to both of you for the reply. I tried to lightly tap it out with a rubber mallet but was a little afraid to try too hard and damage the end. I'll give it another try.
And thanks for reminding me about the small dowel pin. I'll take care of that first thing.
super
On the street

Post by super »

All good to go now. She came out just fine and now on to other issues. Thanks again!
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

super wrote:All good to go now. She came out just fine and now on to other issues. Thanks again!
:up: :up:
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !