T500 Check Valve Question

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Syd
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 72 T500J, 72 Kaw H1-B, 71 CB750 K1, 67 A7SS

T500 Check Valve Question

Post by Syd »

Just a question about the check valve operation on the T500. My original c/valves leaked and operated at very low pressures, therefore I decided to modify the check valves so that they could be screwed together just like the early model Kawasaki triples - see the attached photo.

I made up new nylon valve bodies, modified the original c/valve banjo fittings and used new springs and balls for Kawasaki triples supplied by a chap in the USA who also retrofits old Kawasaki oil lines. These c/valves work really well and crack open around 4.5 - 5 psi and seal at around 3.5 - 4 psi. My question relates to the oil flow in each line from the oil pump as each oil line splits into two lines with two c/valves for each cylinder, however the oil flow at 4.5-5 psi will always flow through the shortest line check valve first once that valve opens with less flow or very little flow to the second c/valve. There just seems no way around this to get equal flows at once through each c/valve. I assume this could cause a problem?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
markush
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT250/380

Re: T500 Check Valve Question

Post by markush »

I think it should be flowing the larger quantity to the inlet channel.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Syd wrote:My original c/valves leaked and operated at very low pressures, therefore I decided to modify the check valves so that they could be screwed together just like the early model Kawasaki triples
That looks like really nice work ! :up:

Regards your question - with the engine running, the back pressures on the valve outlets will not be the same on a constant basis will they ? I could be wrong but won't it self regulate to some degree ? 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Syd
To the on ramp

Post by Syd »

Well, testing the oil lines on the bench with 2 stroke oil showed that the shortest oil line c/valve opens first each time. If you then block off the c/valve banjo that's dripping oil with your fingers, the oil pressure transfer then allows the second c/valve to open and it starts dripping oil as well. This is just how they work and when these were made 40 odd years ago, I am assume that these would have been the same. Just a question from the earlier reply from Markush - he mentioned the inlet channel, therefore do both of the oil line banjo inlets on each cylinder flow into one channel on each side?
markush
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT250/380

Post by markush »

Syd wrote: ... Just a question from the earlier reply from Markush - he mentioned the inlet channel, therefore do both of the oil line banjo inlets on each cylinder flow into one channel on each side?
Take a look (and click) at the first pic on this site: http://suzuki-gt250.de/motornavi/motor.php?b=1
It shows the oil guides of GT250, they are the same at the T500.

I had already made thoughts about it. It should probably be so at the twins, and finally it works.
When I'd checked GT380 oilpumps (at them there are ever two separate oil outlets and lines to each cylinder), I found that the amount of oil supplied to the intake channels was much greater then that for the bearings.
Seems plausible, because the main bearings needn't as much as the piston skirt, rings and piston pin bearing.
Syd
To the on ramp

Post by Syd »

Hello and thanks for the information about the oil lines which I now understand your thinking - much appreciated. Have a nice Xmas..