New guy on this forum

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Cu3 8011
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT380, 1 1/2 GT 550, M Wards 125

New guy on this forum

Post by Cu3 8011 »

First off, I am Shawn (Cu3 8011) and I am new here. I have acquired 1 1976(?) Suzuki GT350 (most all parts). 1 Suzuki GT550 1974 frame with the bottom end of the engine (probably no good). 1 Suzuki GT550 1974 frame with forks, one rim, Bottom and most of the top end of the engine. and 1 Montgomery Wards 125 scooter, was running 2 years ago... :roll: Of course they were all outside..

I relay want to get the 380 fixed up. I am not sure were to start. Anyone have some suggestions??

I have herd from some friends: "Trash'em and go buy on"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: New guy on this forum

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Welcome ! :up:

Other's will chime in I'm sure, but my own 2 cents worth would be that while it is not impossible to resurrect something out of what you have, it will be pretty expensive and I speak from experience. :? You can check my web site to get an idea of the sorts of things you run into. Unless you have done something like this previously, and have access to a fully equipped shop or just want the challenge and have unused capacity on your credit card limit which is great also, then your friend's advice may be worth listening to. Just as a point to think about, the engine by itself will run perhaps $800 to $1500 depending on what it needs, and then there are all the other bits. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Post by pearljam724 »

I agree with Ian. At the starting point you have. Anyone would be better off buying someone else's work. You save a ton of time and a bare minimum of a few grand. Comparing buying someone's bike that has been mildly restored or well kept. Or starting with what you have to work with. Not to dampen your spirit, but I speak the truth. Also from experience. There are a lot of 380's and 550's that go for a few grand in good condition. That amount would hardly put a dent in what you would be looking to spend and accomplishing what you have in mind.
Image Image
Cu3 8011
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT380, 1 1/2 GT 550, M Wards 125

Post by Cu3 8011 »

Thanks for the input, I have priced a few things and came up with rebuild of engine and new wheels and tires, I would be in the 900 rang easily. I was looking to have some fun with this over time as I have rebuilt 2 big block 454's 1 Chevy 350, a few 4 cylenders, and a bunch of lawn mowers and loved each one. I probably would have as much fun with a running decent bike and taking it apart and adding the clamp on handle bars, changing the frame, and other thing to get the Cafe racer look I want. I can then do the paint and buy custom parts instead of investing in the MOTOR alone :shock:

Now what to do with these PARTS...... :?: :roll: