Cleaning out T500 petrol tank and oil tank

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Syd
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 72 T500J, 72 Kaw H1-B, 71 CB750 K1, 67 A7SS

Cleaning out T500 petrol tank and oil tank

Post by Syd »

I have had my T500 petrol tank and oil tank repainted and I would like to remove any paint dust etc from inside the two tanks before I use them. I can blow compressed air through the fuel valve hole so that any dust is blown out of the petrol tank via the fuel cap inlet on top of the tank, however what can you use to flush out the oil tank?
MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Re: Cleaning out T500 petrol tank and oil tank

Post by MikeH1A »

Mmmm ... pictures please. Love looking at newly painted tinware. Who did you get to do it? Hows about bringing the oil tank down to the Pubnite so I can see it in the flesh?

Mike
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Syd wrote:I have had my T500 petrol tank and oil tank repainted and I would like to remove any paint dust etc from inside the two tanks before I use them. I can blow compressed air through the fuel valve hole so that any dust is blown out of the petrol tank via the fuel cap inlet on top of the tank, however what can you use to flush out the oil tank?
I gave both a good interior rinse in my parts washer (obviously with the fuelcock and other fittings removed) , and checked the inside with a maglite till I was happy they were clean. Seemed to do the trick. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Syd
To the on ramp

Post by Syd »

The trouble is, the oil tank and petrol tank have already been painted so not that keen about letting anything touch the new paint. Just wondered about what product I could use apart from petrol to part fill the tanks and then give them a good shake around and then drain them out to dry?
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Syd wrote:The trouble is, the oil tank and petrol tank have already been painted so not that keen about letting anything touch the new paint. Just wondered about what product I could use apart from petrol to part fill the tanks and then give them a good shake around and then drain them out to dry?
I'm using a light distillate petroleum liquid in my parts washer - trade names are things like varsol, mineral spirits, paint thinner, etc. Its pretty gentle on quality, clear coated paint and the idea is to get most of it on the inside of the tank, not the outside so I used the washer pump and flex arm directed into the tank - it wasn't immersed. :wink: Frankly, if you use a bit of common sense and it still lifts your finished paint job, then you'll be in a whole heap of more trouble the first time you fill up at the pumps and splash a bit of petrol on it eh ? Your call.

If you are really concerned, then I'd suggest some detergent and water, give it a good swill, rinse and then spray with WD40 or some other spray oil to stop the flash rust. I'd still use the maglite and mirror to get a good look whether it is clean or no. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Syd
To the on ramp

Post by Syd »

Good info - thanks
mike1161
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1970 T350, 2012 Triumph Thruxton

Post by mike1161 »

Agreed, all good ideas & info. But the approach I use is to do all the interior cleanup (de-scale, remove rust, coat with POR-15 Tank coating kit or your choice) first, then after the coating is all cured, I plug the holes with rubber stoppers (can get many sizes from any lab supply place), then nothing gets in at all while I do all the sanding, prep, and painting. Nothing to worry about after the paint is done, just mount & fill with fuel :) Always has worked like a charm for me.
Current bikes: 1970 Suzuki T350, 2012 Thruxton
Previous bikes: '71 Honda CL350, '82 Yamaha 550 Seca, '86 Yamaha RD350, '88 Suzuki RG500 Gamma, '86 Suzuki VS700, '75 Kawasaki Mach II (S3), '12 Triumph Bonneville T100, '08 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

Agreed, all good ideas & info. But the approach I use is to do all the interior cleanup (de-scale, remove rust, coat with POR-15 Tank coating kit or your choice) first, then after the coating is all cured, I plug the holes with rubber stoppers (can get many sizes from any lab supply place), then nothing gets in at all while I do all the sanding, prep, and painting. Nothing to worry about after the paint is done, just mount & fill with fuel :) Always has worked like a charm for me.
That's the proper order of things alright. But to answer the original flush question, I would use plain old rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol. Won't attack the paint at all. I use it all the time to clean painted surfaces. Dump a quart in to the fuel tank and shake to your hearts content. Use about a pint in the oil tank and repeat shaking. Air dry for a couple of days. In reality, any residual alcohol left behind will blend with the fluids and won't harm a thing.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.