What a sweet smell

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

webster
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: JR 50, JR 50 parts, GT750

What a sweet smell

Post by webster »

Hello All

Well at 12:00 EST I connected a nurse tank to my 1972 GT750, which hasn't been started
since at least 1990 and connected a good battery, shot some starting fluid in each carb,
turned on the ignition switch, hit the starter button and she just turned over and thats it.

I continued to attempt to start her with the choke full on and still, all she would do is
turn over. This went on for at least 20 - 30 minutes and then she ran only as long as I
kept the starter button engaged. I was careful not to allow the starter to over heat.
I used a 3, 4, or 5 minute interval between attempts.

At some point she fire up a smoke began to bellow out of the exhaust and at the left
crossover pipe ( and I mean smoke ). I had wired the oil pump arm to the full open
position and just let it stay full open. Black oil was running out of the exhaust pipes
at every connection and allot of it, I didn't realize at first that the cause of the excessive
smoke and black oil on my lift and floor was as a result of years ( 2008 when I purchased
the bike and just last week ) of me dumping - squirting penatrating oil, transmission fluid,
and an other lubricating media down the spark plug hole, and then spinning the engine all
in an effort to keep the rings and pistons free. It worked and now it was everywhere.

She runs and smells great.

Thanks for all your help over the past years.

I post some pictures when she's done

Webster
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: What a sweet smell

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

:up: :up: :up:
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Re: What a sweet smell

Post by Suzukidave »

Post started Aug 13th 2013 .. any pictures to show us :up:
the older i get the faster i was