72 T500 J - Front Guard Screws

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Syd
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 72 T500J, 72 Kaw H1-B, 71 CB750 K1, 67 A7SS

72 T500 J - Front Guard Screws

Post by Syd »

I would appreciate if someone can help with the following - I have rechromed all of the front guard parts for my 72 T500 and I am about to assemble the guard. I obtained a new set of front guard screws, flat washers and nuts which are all polished stainless steel from GT Reiner. Do the flat washers go under the nuts on the inside of the guard or under the pan head screws on top of the chromed guard? The attached photo shows the pan head screw without the washer. The washer is located under the nut on the inside or underneath of the guard. My Suzuki T500 parts drwgs do not show washers at all, just a screws and a nuts for each hole.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: 72 T500 J - Front Guard Screws

Post by Alan H »

Normally a flat washer would be next to the part held by the nut, followed by a spring washer, then the nut.
Personally, I would fit the screw from inside and a SS dome nut where it can be seen. The idea of a washer under the screw head would only be needed if the hole was slightly oversize and the screw head went 'on the pi$$' when it was put in place, or part of the hole was visible.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: 72 T500 J - Front Guard Screws

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

+1 to Alan.
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !