GT750J - clutch lever cover question

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

GT750J - clutch lever cover question

Post by MikeH1A »

On my J, I have a black plastic cover over the clutch perch and lever - see attached pic. Also the perch is painted black. This doesn't seem to be correct for the J (although it has been functional :ssh: ). After putting on newly chromed, correct bars I'm now going to have to address this I guess. So: This cover isn't correct is it?, The perch should be polished metal and not painted huh? What is this plastic cover correct for?

Many thanks for any thoughts, Mike
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
GT750Battleship
Road race school
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT750A 1976

Re: GT750J - clutch lever cover question

Post by GT750Battleship »

8) Hi,I'd say that plastic cover is "aftermarket" item,its not shown on any parts fiches for the J ?
You're right about the handle bar mount for the clutch lever,should be bright & not painted black,my "A" model has black handle bar mount & a rubber sleeve over the clutch cable adjuster at both ends...PS notice you're missing exhaust cones in the photo,available through Diablo Cycle...(Reproduction Decals) :)
Regards,
GT750Battleship.
GT750Battleship.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

I also show the boots as being 'K' and higher - nothing for 'J', although there is nothing stopping you from adding them to your 'J' if you want to, as I suspect late model J's likely had them as they changed over to 'K' production. Part numbers were 57661-31900 (now 57661-31000) and 58723-31900 (now 58273-31000) and are still available from Suzuki. As there was a parts number change, I suppose it is possible your boots may be original - without additional verified examples to compare to, its tough to tell. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by MikeH1A »

Thanks for confirming my thoughts guys. I think the PO was more liberal in terms of what he put on the bike to keep her on the road - if it fit it was ok! I shall remove it as I've never seen one on another J before. It is interesting how the J morphed into the K though isn't it. I have a mate with a J in the 22000s and he has the changes we have talked about on the forum (not this cover though)- including the different exhaust collars.

GT - thanks for the thought re the cones but the photo is from when I bought the girl. She now has pretty black cones on all fours :D . I actually got them from a guy over there in Oz who makes them. Speaking of such, how's the weather over there in Sydney? I'm going over for a conference next Tuesday and am hoping for a bit warmer weather than we have been getting here.

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
GT750Battleship
Road race school

8) Hi,Sydney Weather,fine through to Sunday!! Monday to Wednesday showers forecast,temp 19c or around that,have you had the J model long :?:
GT750Battleship.
GT750Battleship.
MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by MikeH1A »

Hey GT, Just got back from a week in Sydney. Weather was not bad and I had a good time. Not keen on your security dudes at the airport though - they obviously think I look like a terrorist. Put me through the body scanner and wiped down everything to check for explosives, before smiling sweetly and wishing me a good flight :? I think they need to update their profile a tad :) :D Only found one classic jappa out on the streets. It was a1966 Honda 250 Dream and it was owned by a young fella in his 20s :clap: He said it was his daily rider and that he loves the old girl. Where are the rest of the old jappas? There must be more than this Honda and you girl in Sydney surely. Have you come across many others?

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
GT750Battleship
Road race school

8) Hi from "across the ditch" Glad you had a good time in Sydney! Apologies for our Customs Officers being "over the top" :oops: Mainly weekends for the old girls to get out in decent numbers,yesterday's run Honda750 Four K2,Yamaha XJ650,Kawasaki H2 750,Suzuki GT550,my GT750A,not to mention some old BMW boxers,Norton Commando 850,Moto Guzzi Le Mans mark11
Nice day out, 280km return trip,incident free....!
Cheers,
GT750Battleship.
GT750Battleship.