If you know Buffalo parts, please answer this.

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

If you know Buffalo parts, please answer this.

Post by pearljam724 »

What is the deal with the tachometer reservoir located down near the crank ? Where exactly is it and do you have to check level, fill every so often ? I also want to replace my drain screws on my fork legs with stainless allens. Does it sound right, that those drain screws are 4mm ?
Image Image
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: If you know Buffalo parts, please answer this.

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

pearljam724 wrote:What is the deal with the tachometer reservoir located down near the crank ? Where exactly is it and do you have to check level, fill every so often ?
Don't worry about it - lubed by the crankcase oil.
pearljam724 wrote:I also want to replace my drain screws on my fork legs with stainless allens. Does it sound right, that those drain screws are 4mm ?
You know, you can often (not always) tell the size of the screws by checking the parts manual eh ? The drain screws on M through B GT750's for example are 02111-04067. In the second half of the number, the 04 is the diameter of 4 mm and the 06 is the length in mm . The 7 on the end is supposedly the finish - I think it means it is a zinc plate finish, but am not 100% sure. Also not sure if allens would seat properly due to the taper, but perhaps that can be sorted. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
pearljam724
AMA Superbike

Post by pearljam724 »

oldjapanesebikes wrote:
pearljam724 wrote:What is the deal with the tachometer reservoir located down near the crank ? Where exactly is it and do you have to check level, fill every so often ?
Don't worry about it - lubed by the crankcase oil.
pearljam724 wrote:I also want to replace my drain screws on my fork legs with stainless allens. Does it sound right, that those drain screws are 4mm ?
You know, you can often (not always) tell the size of the screws by checking the parts manual eh ? The drain screws on M through B GT750's for example are 02111-04067. In the second half of the number, the 04 is the diameter of 4 mm and the 06 is the length in mm . The 7 on the end is supposedly the finish - I think it means it is a zinc plate finish, but am not 100% sure. Also not sure if allens would seat properly due to the taper, but perhaps that can be sorted. 8)
Thanks, Ian. That is cool info about part numbers I obviously was unaware of. I had wondered if there was some data somewhere that explained which bolts were what length and diameters. Does that part number information hold true about the majority of fastener part numbers ? The allens do work. The tapered part of the allen and the addition of a flat washer do nothing to stop the oil from leaking. The threaded portion of the bolt stops the oil.
Last edited by pearljam724 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

pearljam724 wrote:I had wondered if there was some data somewhere that explained which bolts were what length and diameters. Does that part number information hold true about the majority of fastener part numbers ?
There is a method to Suzuki's numbering - I talk about it a bit here. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I use stainless cap screws on my fork drains too and slip the stock tiny O ring under the head. Or use a little RTV on the threads.
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

On the buffalo fork drain screws I use a stainless cross head screw and the little oem copper washers. The stainless screws have a slightly bigger head and so it fills up the recess perfectly.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Allan, which years have a copper washer? Mine are 74 L and have a small O ring - or at least that's what I remember. Did they change that in the 75 on legs?
pearljam724
AMA Superbike

Post by pearljam724 »

tz375 wrote:Allan, which years have a copper washer? Mine are 74 L and have a small O ring - or at least that's what I remember. Did they change that in the 75 on legs?
Good question. On my 76, mine are not copper. Judging by the original fork seals, I know they haven't been changed. Other signs of prior lack of maintenance is the coolant drain plug is seized and probably hasn't been cracked open in its life and may never be :x
Image Image