T500K lives again!

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

pipelinepete
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500K

T500K lives again!

Post by pipelinepete »

This 1973 T500 was my winter rebuild project. It was last started up in 1995. Today it started on the 4th kick and ran perfectly. I liked the 1975 paint so went with that. Some parts are still missing (intake boot, mirrors, etc.) - got them on order. Lots of small things left to do. I put in a modern regulator/ rectifier and a small Li battery. Otherwise it's mostly OEM. Can't wait for this blasted snow and ice to melt!! Peter.

This is what I started with:
stevebee
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: t500 kawasaki z900 harley davidson flsti

Re: T500K lives again!

Post by stevebee »

well done.nice job :up:
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

What a beauty !

Cracking job Pete.
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
endo_mechanical
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, W1SA 650, VT1100 Sidecar, VFR800, ZX6R

Post by endo_mechanical »

Nice work Peter, I can appreciate the effort you ahve put in having just completed my 1971 R, I see you have the same rear brake cable as I have, I was concerned how close mine sits near to the rear tyre and was going to keep an eye on it to see where it 'settled' after I get it registered and start riding it, I also wondered if the OEM one was different from the original in length? (mine didn't have one when I picked it up)
I see you have routed your handlebar cables through the hole in the frame under the steering stem, in my opinion this liiks best but when I tried this I wasn't happy with the tension on the clutch cable and routed it from the right hand side of the steering stem diagonally to the left. Ended up making a small bracket with rubber o-ring that I bolted under the coil mounts and ran all the cables through that, they sit nice and I have no worry of them touching the engine heads/barrels. I bet we could swap a few T500 resto stories over a beer or two! Regards Richard