750J Front brake vents - Anorak alert

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

750J Front brake vents - Anorak alert

Post by MikeH1A »

I clearly have too much time on my hands and have been looking closely at brochures and early pics to help with my resto. Currently, I am redoing the front end and noticed something about the front vent covers.
On my J model Buffalo (and my mate's) the vent cover has a series of drilled holes. I believe this is perhaps part number 54674-3100. However, on some brochures and photos of J models there are images of vents with chrome fluting on their covers (? Part number 54675-3100). I initially thought that perhaps our bikes were just missing the chrome fluted covers. After looking at original road tests in magazines, I noticed that some Js had the drilled hole covers and others the fluted ones. I also have a 4 page brochure (the one with the rider with the uber cool moustache 8) ) that has both features in it. On the front page it has a bike with the drilled holes, whilst inside (the double page spread) the bike clearly has the fluted covers. Both are Candy Jackal Blue machines. Now this is an official Suzuki brochure so it must represent an intended difference.

So, humor me here guys (it is winter down here :D ) and help me solve this puzzle :up: Does this represent a regional difference or early versus late model or ...

Mike
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
Fritz500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki TS90, TS250, T500 (4), GT750

Re: 750J Front brake vents - Anorak alert

Post by Fritz500 »

Oh the things we worry about! There is hunger and strife in the world and you're worried about vent covers...

Me too. I bought all the parts to do a GT750J front end for my T500 and saw there were two vent covers shown in the spares listing - I have since noticed folks with either cover showing. If the chrome vent cover actually had slotted vents in it I could understand it sitting over the one with small holes, but it looks like it's cosmetic. Perhaps chrome cover for wet weather and drilled cover for fine weather. Suzuki were so considerate.

Like you I just don't get it. There'll be some guy out there who has done a thesis on it, just you wait and see.

Cheers
73 GT750 Ducati - 20%
72 T500J - 95%
09 Yam XVS950A
81 Yam XV920 - cafe conversion - 90%

“Anyone who believes a perpetual motion machine is impossible has no imagination; anyone who thinks it is possible has no education.” Adam Peenum
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

No time to do a thesis :D but the parts are listed as 54674-31000 brake air intake inner cover, and 54675-31000 brake air intake outer cover. I had assumed that those bikes I'd seen without the louvred cover had just lost them at some point. The JDM (E0) version lists the same parts as the General Export (E1) manual, as does the USA/Canada (E3/E28) manual so I don't think there is a regional variation.

But I could be wrong of course 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Fritz500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki TS90, TS250, T500 (4), GT750

Post by Fritz500 »

oldjapanesebikes wrote:No time to do a thesis :D but the parts are listed as 54674-31000 brake air intake inner cover, and 54675-31000 brake air intake outer cover. I had assumed that those bikes I'd seen without the louvred cover had just lost them at some point. The JDM (E0) version lists the same parts as the General Export (E1) manual, as does the USA/Canada (E3/E28) manual so I don't think there is a regional variation.

But I could be wrong of course 8)
The louvred cover has no holes/slots (which seems so pointless). I'd say it was designed by the engineering department and the provision of slots removed as a cost cutting measure by accounting. It looks as useful as.... a bad analogy.

Cheers
73 GT750 Ducati - 20%
72 T500J - 95%
09 Yam XVS950A
81 Yam XV920 - cafe conversion - 90%

“Anyone who believes a perpetual motion machine is impossible has no imagination; anyone who thinks it is possible has no education.” Adam Peenum
MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by MikeH1A »

The fact period pics in magazines (original raod tests) and brochures show some bikes with and some without is intriguing. This perhaps suggests some came from the factory with different specs ... but why? I love a good mystery.
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

The GT750 4LS's I've had all had both with the perforated screen under the sealed louver. I always assumed this was done to allow you to keep water out of the brake if you were riding in crummy weather or set the brake up to have cool air flowing in if you were riding (or racing) in warm dry weather.

Jim
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

This scenario reminds me somewhat of the engine sprocket covers on the GSX-R and Bandit oil cooled SACS motors. They all have recessed oval shaped holes by the shifter shaft area, yet some have the holes cut out and some do not. My three Bandits do not have any of the holes in these covers open.
I have not been able to pin this down to a particular part number for this cover, but they keep showing up on ebay every now and then which intrigues me to buy one.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
kettle kid
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT380A GT750L GT750J Z900

Post by kettle kid »

I've always wondered why?? 2 types of covers.... I have both. Just for the people wondering what we are talking about... some pic's.... :up: :up: :ssh: