headlight rim question for GT750J - experts please

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

headlight rim question for GT750J - experts please

Post by MikeH1A »

I have been under the belief that the J model always had a headlight rim with the squared off bottom - as opposed to the completely round rim. My J (frame # 12xxx) came with the round rim in situ. I therefore ordered a flat bottomed one from Reiner and this duly arrived in great condition. Yesterday I tried to fit it to the headlight and found that the brackets at the bottom of either side (of the rim) do not line up with the screw holes in the bucket. I thought that perhaps I may have been sent a rim from a different model or maybe I have an incorrect bucket. So today I went to visit my mate who has a J that is only 100 away from my frame number and noticed that it also has a completely round chrome headlight rim.

So, any thoughts what might be going on here? I'm going to double check with Reiner that he sent me the correct part, but he is usually spot on.

Were there some J's built with round headlight rims as standard? (seems odd that two bikes so close together have the same rim type)

Ian, could this be another twist to the pass button mystery? - as both bikes have the pass button on the switch blocks (as per another thread)

Thanks for any thoughts, Mike
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: headlight rim question for GT750J - experts please

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

All the information I have shows that J's originally had the flat lower shape - this changed at frame 37422 during K production. Having said that - I don't have much country specific information for either J or K - really just the USA, Germany, Swiss, France, Sweden, North American, Japan and General Export models. Nothing on UK, NZ or Aust. and it is possible there was a local variation.

You should be able to tell if the headlamp bowl has been replaced and repainted at some point ?
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Mike take a close look at the bowl and see if it has the "suzuki" stamped into it and any numbers as well.These are usually found at the lower sides of the bowls.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by MikeH1A »

Good tip. I do recall seeing some numbers there. I'm lounging around in Australia at the moment pretending to be doing things at a conference. When I get home, I'll check the numbers and post them - may well be a clue to sorting out what's going on.

Thanks, Mike
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A