Emblem Metalflake

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

deadmeat
Around the block

Emblem Metalflake

Post by deadmeat »

One of my bucket list items is to apply metal flake to the side cover emblems on my GT750 & RE-5. I went to a local paint jobber with an old emblem that had chips of the original metal flake on it. He came back with a pretty good (to my eye) single part tinted candy & metal flake. I've done everything I have and there's enough left to do another 3 or 4 hundred! I was looking to see if anybody had interest in it, I would send them the bottle (2 oz). Then when thet are done, send it to the next person. Sort of a paint bottle chain letter. Any takers?

Here's a shot of the original, the metal flaked, and fresh from factory red insert. The jobber put extra mixing balls in the jar, so after a good shake, I sucked it into a 3cc syringe and squeezed on the plunger enough that it flowed on the emblem

Here's a closeup. After the paint tacks up, I zipped my fingernail on the raised chrome part if the letters and lifted the excess.
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

Is that stuff from an outfit called Air...something or other in PA or someplace like that ?? I've seen stuff exactly like that at my buddy's body shop supply warehouse. I haven't needed any so never bothered to try it. IIRC, I posted the name and other info of the supplier when the old board was still up.

BTW, good looking work there, deadmeat.
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

I seem to remember that lane did something similar to that but I can't recall exactally what it was.
So many Projects - So little time
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

I used orange jewel glitter which has really big flakes. Pete's looks perfect to me. Nice job.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
bighole
To the on ramp

Post by bighole »

Looks good to me, I'd be interested in the paint bottle chain.
There are a few badges laying around I wouldnt mind re-doing.
-John
My bike is a "bighole" I keep throwing money into, so I had to get another!

09 Aprilia RSV1000
73 gt750
77 gt750 cafe
73 gt550
74 RE5
deadmeat
Around the block

Post by deadmeat »

Thanks guys, but it's not a lot in the scheme of things. It is shiney and sparkley and pretty, so it makes me feel better while looking at crates of parts to put back together. The paint came from a place called Final Finish here is Bradenton that a lot of the bike shops use. I walked in with the old emblem and asked "how do I get there from here?" One of the guys took it in the back room and a half hour later VOILA! John, if you PM me your address, I'll send you the bottle and a syringe. It's only a 1cc syringe and in looking at it I think I only pulled in 2 tenths of a cc to do 2 emblems with a lot left over. On another note, we were mobbed by Robins this morning on the way north so spring is around the corner.
markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

bighole wrote:Looks good to me, I'd be interested in the paint bottle chain.
There are a few badges laying around I wouldnt mind re-doing.
-John
Same here. Do you have the info on the manufacturer?
deadmeat
Around the block

Post by deadmeat »

No idea what paints were used, it was a custom match. I'll guess that your #2 on the list after John!
markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

deadmeat wrote:No idea what paints were used, it was a custom match. I'll guess that your #2 on the list after John!
Very cool. I have three sets I could fix up! 8)
deadmeat
Around the block

Post by deadmeat »

Your next on the list after John. :D