Indicator mount query -72 Buffalo

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Indicator mount query -72 Buffalo

Post by MikeH1A »

I am trying to get my girl back to her original state. The PO had mounted the rear indicators via the bolt that holds the grab rail/rear fender. After some good advice from Allan, I can see the mounting spiggots that are welded under the frame. However, these mounts do not have any thread in them. So how do the indicators mount there? Should the mounts have an internal thread or does the stem poke through and get secured by a nut on the other side?

Next intriguing part: My mounts are only the same size as the frame is wide. When I checked on Ian's amazing site, he has a picture of a 72 frame with mounts that stick out quite a way beyond the frame and appear to be about twice the length of mine. I checked with two other 72's in my Classic Jap group. One has the same length spiggots as my bike and one has the longer ones like on Ian's site.

Can anyone shed any light on what is happening here? Below are some pics from bikes here in Christchurch to illustrate the points:

Thanks for any explanations and advice on what I can do.

Also, if anyone has two stems for the rear indicators (I have good bodies) I would gratefully purchase them from you. Don't mind if they need a rechrome.

Thanks, Mike
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
two-stroke-brit
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt750

Re: Indicator mount query -72 Buffalo

Post by two-stroke-brit »

i am not sure but here is a pic of my 73 .
it has its own triangular bracket, i dont know if the changed from 72 to 73.
hope this helps.

good luck mark
She will never be pretty but hoping she will be a fun ride.

1973 SUZUKI GT750K.=SOLD
yamaha speedtwinn 100 barn find =SOLD
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (restored)
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (basket case) =SOLD
1982 HONDA CB900F =SOLD
1982 YAMAHA RD350LC.
1985 RZ350N
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Mike - thank's for the kind words - I've had a lot of help from many folks around the globe and it continues to improve !

As you've confirmed, the design changed at some point during the J model run and started to use the brackets as Mark shows in his photos. Some parts books list them, and others don't which doesn't help much either ! The part numbers are 41640-33001 and 41650-33001. They are 'handed' as in you do need a left and a right, but to make them slightly easier to track down they were used from the late model J right through to the A and then changed to having square holes for the turn signals on the B. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by MikeH1A »

I do love a good mystery and Agatha Christie had nothing on Japanese bike manufacturers for developing plots and intrigue :D :D

Ian, from your comments are you thinking the shorter stems would have the brackets? My J (with the short stems) has a frame number in the 12000s whilst my mate's (with the long stems) has a frame in the 14000s. The J in my photos above(with the short stems) has a frame in the 26000s. I realise that the oriental mind has often been held up as inscrutable to us westerners ... but there must be some logic in here somewhere.

Love to hear more thoughts and experience on this.

Mike

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by MikeH1A »

I've just rechecked the frame numbers for the three bikes I mentioned. Mine is 123xx and has short mounting tubes. The next one is 124xx and has long mounting tubes. The third bike has frame 29xxx and has short mounting tubes. Seems a little weird to me - I would have thought once they changed the run would have continued with long mounting tubes.

Anyone else have any thoughts about what may be going on here? Of course, I'm willing to accept that this may only be of interest to me and my understimulated life :D :D

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
djfisher22
To the on ramp

Post by djfisher22 »

I believe my 72 stems screw right into the frame, no bracket involved. I've got some running to do today but I'll post a pic and serial number as soon as I can.
2000 ZRX (the green ones are fastest)
72 GT750 (almost done)
73 RV 125
72 RV 90 X 2
Now proudly displaying membership number 91 in the Ugly Fat Old Bastards Motorcycle Club.

http://www.ozebook.com/cpotw/documents/register.html
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

MikeH1A wrote:I've just rechecked the frame numbers for the three bikes I mentioned. Mine is 123xx and has short mounting tubes. The next one is 124xx and has long mounting tubes. The third bike has frame 29xxx and has short mounting tubes. Seems a little weird to me - I would have thought once they changed the run would have continued with long mounting tubes.

Anyone else have any thoughts about what may be going on here? Of course, I'm willing to accept that this may only be of interest to me and my understimulated life :D :D
Agree that it does seem odd. Is it possible that someone has taken their trusty hack saw to the mounting stubs on your frame ? Other than that, I haven't a clue. When you look at the J model frame you do see lots of subtle and not so subtle differences - the engine mount lugs for example, as well as the right side foot peg design. It starts to settle down with the K models, but even the Japanese language parts manual I have clearly shows the extended mount tube on the frame in the diagram, and the frame part number not changing till their equivalent of a K model.
Ian

MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by MikeH1A »

I have been continuing with the mystery. Ian, I am thinking that you are correct with the hacksaw theory. What threw me is the very neat job the PO has done. However, I can't see an alternative if there is only 100 between my frame number and that of my mate's - his has the long stems. So, now it's on to problem solving on how best to attach my indicators to look as original as possible.

Ian, a couple of questions:

The size of the thread on the rear indicators should be 8mm? I have some correct looking stems for the rear but they are 10mm - so these must be off a later model I guess.

Would you mind if I put up a link to your amazingly researched GT750 site on my classic group's website? Have a quick look at cjmg.org.nz and see what you think. It will fit nicely with the period of bikes we relate to and I'm sure the visitors would enjoy your efforts. Let me know if you are ok with this or would prefer to keep it listed though places like Sundial.

Regards, Mike

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

MikeH1A wrote:The size of the thread on the rear indicators should be 8mm? I have some correct looking stems for the rear but they are 10mm - so these must be off a later model I guess.
There was only one part number for the rear turn signal assembly and I could be wrong, but I thought it was a 10mm thread - I'll have to double check one of the frames I have in my lock-up.
MikeH1A wrote:Would you mind if I put up a link to your amazingly researched GT750 site on my classic group's website?
Please do ! And if anyone spots an error or something they think is missing please let me know so I can add it in ! :up:
Ian

MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by MikeH1A »

Making good progress with the indicators. I've found the correct stems for both the front and rear (ferreted though my mates box of spares in his garage) and have just mounted the front ones after a rechrome. :up: With the rear ones, I'm just going to tap the spiggot/tube and screw the stems in. They will clear the grab rail and look like the shorter mounts from a later 72 - simple and functional. Ah, progress, sure feels good :clap:

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

:up: :up: :up:
Ian