1972 GT380 Right Hand Clutch Side Cover - Cracks

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

jhood
On the street

1972 GT380 Right Hand Clutch Side Cover - Cracks

Post by jhood »

Still trying to finish the restotation. I'm down to the Clutch cover on the right side and my issue is with Cracks. I have 4 of these covers and 3 of them have serious cracks on the bottom of the housing and the one on the bike leaks. I have one cover that is just starting to develop a very small crack. Has anyone else run into this problem and does anyone have a suggestion as to repair this or what? It appears to be some type of a design problem due to the number of cracks and the same general location.

Is my best solution to find a "NOS" cover and move forward? I am looking for part # 11341-33000 "NOS" if anyone knows where one is.

Thanks, John
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Re: 1972 GT380 Right Hand Clutch Side Cover - Cracks

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Can you post up some photos of these cracks?
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
jhood
On the street

Post by jhood »

OK, I tried to post some pictures to show mother natures effects and all 3 of these covers are cracked in the same place, but my files are too large. Sorry about that.

I have located a "NOS" cover that I will use, but it just seems odd that all 3 of these cases cracked in the same place and some have additional cracks throughout the cover. The only difference in the cover is the new one has a small hole by the oil cap. Can anyone tell me what it is for?
I plan to put a bolt in it to seal it up unless it has another use as my original cover didn't have this.

Here is my other question, what is involved in removing the breaker cam shaft, bearing, timing gear, etc... to put them in the new cover? I have removed the inside nut, washer, gear, bushing & key on the inside of the of the cover, but do not know how to get the shaft out so that I can dissemble the rest of it.

Thanks.

John
jhood
On the street

Post by jhood »

Finally figured out how to remove the cam shaft and re-assembled into the new side cover.

Plugged the hole beside the oil filler cap with an allen head screw. Can anyone tell what the hole is for on this later model cover as it is not on the '72 model cover. Just wondering.........

Thanks,
john