GT750A - Should I remove and inspect my water pump?

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

n8balls
On the street

GT750A - Should I remove and inspect my water pump?

Post by n8balls »

Hi guys

I'm in the process of preparing to start my GT750A which has sat in a shed for years. The previous owner got it running to sell but I want to check everything over before I run it.

I have removed the radiator, hoses, thermostat and flushed everything through thoroughly and everything was pretty clean considering, but my question is - should I dismantle and clean the water pump before I crank it over to avoid possible damage from scale?

I imagine the correct answer is yes but I think it might be a tricky job with the motor still in the frame... I wasn’t planning on removing the motor unless I had to. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated :)
cheers, n8
Cliff
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Original owner GT550L

Re: GT750A - Should I remove and inspect my water pump?

Post by Cliff »

Put her back together, fill with clean fluids, charge the battery and start her up! The water pump is at the very bottom. Chances of any scale forming down there and doing damage are slim! If she fires up, check for any leaks, both oil and coolant from under the engine at the weep hole by the water pump cover. AND check the transmission oil, both oil level and oil condition after she's run for a while! If the oil level goes up or the oil turns milky you may have a water pump issue!
If the engine has not run in awhile I'd be more worried about the crankshaft seals than the water pump!
Good luck and keep us posted!
There's a ton of info here on the board! Don't be shy!
Cliff!