41 year old grease

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

87m6chris
Around the block

41 year old grease

Post by 87m6chris »

1970 Suzuki T500,
I have started restoration on the thumb controls, lights, signals, horn, kill switch and such.
Disassembled both R&L hand sides today (pretty obvious that these controls have not been opened since they were built 41 years ago) and the factory grease is still in good condition and doing it's job. There is no corrosion of any copper contacts.
My question is, is there a modern day equivalent for this grease?
I find diaeltic grease dries out to a white power within a couple of years, Oxgard and other
conductive greases aren't made to last 40 years and aren't usable where the contacts are so close to one another.
Bearing grease maybe?
Thanks,
Chris
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Re: 41 year old grease

Post by H2RICK »

Probably why those ancient greases lasted so long AND kept the contacts clean was that they were lead-based. The lead soaps in the grease would coat the copper contacts and prevent any oxidation. Unfortunately for you/us lead-based greases have been a no-no for grease manufacturers for about 15 years or so.
Yes, dielectric greases WILL dry out eventually but then it's a pretty quick job during your winter downtime to take the controls apart every second year or so and dab some more dielectric in the appropriate places. As well, this will give you an opportunity to make sure things inside the controls look like they should.
Your other choice might be a synthetic chassis grease which is NOT hygroscopic like mineral based greases and thus would not promote moisture-caused corrosion....
but I have not used synthetics myself in this application. Others may have experience with this and chime in here.
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer