Optimum Tools

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Digger
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500M, GT380, MTS1200S

Optimum Tools

Post by Digger »

Santa was VERY good to me this year - brought me a Snap-on tool cabinet. Image

My tools thus far have languished unloved in various boxes around the garage, and are a sad mixture of automotive & household, accumulated over many years. Now I've go somewhere to keep them, and looking forward to many years of car & bike restorations as I approach retirement, I'm looking for advice on replacing the old and nasty with appropriate and effective.

I'm keen not to dive unnecessarily into Snap-on, and a pal who knows these things pointed me towards METRINCH. Any of you chaps have any experience with Metrinch?

My needs will be fettling/maintaining 70s Japanese, current Buell, 60s British and a 1948 MG TC when I've got room for one.

Your advice is much appreciated, go for it.
Digger

1975 T500M
1977 GT380
2011 MTS1200S
sfront
On the main road

Re: Optimum Tools

Post by sfront »

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS BAD TOOLS!!!!!
There are definitely better tools.
I have a drawer full of 'cheap' tools that have found their way into my collection.
When I need to make a special wrench ie. cut, bent, thinned, etc. they come in handy.
I did the Snap-On pay-as-you-go thing when I was a kid and don't regret it at all.
You get what you pay for.
I do think they are way overpriced today though.
S-K and Proto brands aren't too shabby either.
I've no experience with Metrinch but they seem to have a good reputation.
Most of my handtools have made their way out of the tool box and onto the pegboard wall.
STEVE
So what if it was short.......I still had a great time!
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi Digger,

I bought the Halfords 140 piece "Pro" set 7-8 years ago and they have done me proud. They may even be made by the Snap-on folk for Halfords. Good range of 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive sockets (MM and AF), deep reach sockets, ratchet spanners (MM), regular combination spanners (MM), go online and check it out and according to Classic Bike Guide review this month (Jan 2011 issue) they are being sold at a hell of a Sale reduction at the moment.

When I got the Triumph a picked up a nice set (8) of Whitworth sockets and Combi spanners for under £30 on eBay.

Cheers Zunspec
Digger
To the on ramp

Post by Digger »

Thanks for that - one of my Buelligan pals also pointed me to the Halfords sale .... I'll pop in after work tomorrow :up:
Digger

1975 T500M
1977 GT380
2011 MTS1200S
Jughead
This IS the real me!!!

Post by Jughead »

Hey Digger look and see if you have KD tool (Dahner) available over in your neck of the woods.Great tools. haven't had any complaints yet.They make Some of the tools for the US market thru Lowes.
Hang me from the Tree of Shame.Damn! I forgot the Rope.
Digger
To the on ramp

Post by Digger »

Thanks for the nod - looks as if they're just US though.
Think I'll see what Halfords have from their Pro range in the sale, and back it up with a small set of Metrinch.
Digger

1975 T500M
1977 GT380
2011 MTS1200S