A Field Guide to the GT750

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Edoc
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GS250, GS550, T500, GT550, GT750

Re: A Field Guide to the GT750

Post by Edoc »

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
A great guide

Tim
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

I've just uploaded the revised 3rd edition of the Field Guide - I think I now know how Sisyphus must have felt while rolling that boulder repeatedly up the hill ! :D At any rate, enjoy. 8)

http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/GT750_f ... ide/page-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: I suppose I should have added some information on what is different:
  • Converted site to Markdown with Lightbox photo management and display, along with server side PHP - what that means is now most of the photos you can click on, and a larger image is displayed (not always), plus the site displays better on iPads and tablets
  • Hundreds of small updates and corrections throughout - and no doubt some new errors introduced
  • I've added scans of the country specific parts lists - so if you have a French or German J and wondered why is isn't as fast as a UK or Canadian one, you can take a look at the parts lists for the carbs and airbox to see why
  • I added Patroller parts lists - both the generic one, as well as for the Patroller sold to Taiwan
  • Also added film and television appearance information
  • Expanded the options section further - still on my list is to add a comprehensive after market spannie section
  • Expanded the specials section further - still staying away from full race versions, but focused on low volume commercial production street versions
  • Added sales brochure section
Still missing a few things, but they will show up eventually. Image
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Thanks Ian,

Did the latest update include clarification on the inner front rear fender which changed to plastic on the middle of the A production run. At that point, the frame, rear fender rear, rear fender front all changed.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

tz375 wrote:Did the latest update include clarification on the inner front rear fender which changed to plastic on the middle of the A production run. At that point, the frame, rear fender rear, rear fender front all changed.
I think so Richard - I sent you a note, but please take a look here to see if I got it right.

http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/GT750_f ... e/page-102" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8)
Ian

tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Thanks Ian,

How did I manage to miss that? Maybe someone else with an A model can zero in on the actual change date
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

With some help from Richard and Dave, I've added a section on spannies/chambers/exhausts or whatever you prefer to call them. :D The direct link is:

http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/GT750_f ... -A55#pipes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of the photos are 'stacked' (there are four Bassani for example) so just be sure click through them to see them all. I think I have the photo credits right - if not, just let me know and I'll change them. And I'm sure there are more - if you have data on one that I've missed just pass it along.

8)
Ian

oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

Just as an experiment, I've added a machine translation option to the Field Guide - in the upper right side of each page is a drop down box with a short selection of languages to choose from. I fully expect some of the translation will be gibberish, but I'm hoping at least some folks will be helped by having it available. Enjoy ! 8)
Ian

oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

I have added some additional types of pipes to the section in the Field Guide - at this point, we have managed to identify 20 different GT750 after market systems - albeit I have listed one twice, but that was deliberate. :D

The direct link is: http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/GT750_f ... -A55#pipes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Enjoy ! 8)

Also - anyone on the board fluent in German ? I need a proper translation of a 6 page document into English for the Field Guide - machine translations just don't cut it. As payment I will send you a rare, limited edition and very collectable LOWB crest for you to display proudly, and which will make you the envy of your peers ! Just email or PM me. Thx !

Ian

oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

oldjapanesebikes wrote:Also - anyone on the board fluent in German ? I need a proper translation of a 6 page document into English for the Field Guide - machine translations just don't cut it. As payment I will send you a rare, limited edition and very collectable LOWB crest for you to display proudly, and which will make you the envy of your peers ! Just email or PM me. Thx !

Fred in Ontario came through for me with a translation and so is now the proud owner of a smiling buffalo crest - my thanks to him for his help ! For those interest in checking out an early 1970's catalogue from Reimo of Germany, just scroll down this page to the German and English translation section.

http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/GT750_f ... e/page-A52" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8)
Ian

tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Very cool Ian. Thanks to you and Fred for that.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

And also thanks to you Richard for your latest contribution !

I've added a new section on GT750 barrels which Richard very kindly has provided - the direct link is:

http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/GT750_f ... /page-A571

8)
Ian