A Field Guide to the GT750

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

A Field Guide to the GT750

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Like many folks on this board, I've been pulling together Buffalo information for a while now, and I finally decided to put it together in some sort of relatively easy to read package which I've called a 'field guide', patterned after the sort of thing you see for flowers, birds and what have you. It hasn't been a solo effort - a few folks here on the board as well as elsewhere have chipped in either to review it, or in some case to pass along information to be included. It is very much a work in progress - I've already started on a 'second edition' , plus at least one section is still incomplete waiting till people get back from vacations etc. I also still have to speed up the load times of some of the photos and images so consider this a first edition, with a few wrinkles. :D

You will notice there is no real data on race bikes - that's because I know nothing about them and think it would be better for someone else with knowledge to put something together if they wish. Nor is there anything on custom GT750's. I have nothing against customs - I converted a 1975 into my take on a 1978 model, because I wanted one and Suzuki never made one ! :D I just wasn't sure how to go about doing it in a way that would do justice to some of the amazing work folks have done, so for the moment at least I've left it alone. This version targets restorations which is why I posted here, rather than elsewhere on the board.

Also notice, that it isn't for sale - its free to the Buffalo community :shock: under what's called a Creative Commons license.

Any and all comments/feedback are appreciated - email is preferred (ian (at) oldjapanesebikes (dot) com) . I know there are errors, I just don't know where all of them are yet ! I look forward to hearing from folks. To take a look, just click on the image below ! 8)

Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Scorch
Born to ride
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 GT380

Re: A Field Guide to the GT750

Post by Scorch »

Wow, Ian. Just... wow! :clap:
Suzuki: '18 V-Strom 1000, '75 GT380, '85 Madura 1200
two-stroke-brit
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt750

Post by two-stroke-brit »

cool as you know what.
nicley done.
She will never be pretty but hoping she will be a fun ride.

1973 SUZUKI GT750K.=SOLD
yamaha speedtwinn 100 barn find =SOLD
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (restored)
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (basket case) =SOLD
1982 HONDA CB900F =SOLD
1982 YAMAHA RD350LC.
1985 RZ350N
markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

This is soooo cool. Thanks for all your work. I'm in the midst of a '750 restoration and this is going to be a huge help. :up: :up:
So many Projects - So little time
MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by MikeH1A »

Ah Mate,

How good is this? Kudos to you for the knowledge, understanding and sheer tenacity to pull it all together :up: :up:

As someone who is about to start revitalising a J model, I am intensely grateful for your efforts. I want to make sure she is original in all details and am sure this will help so much.

Thanks heaps, Mike
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

Many thanks for the kind words ! :D :D

Allan (Suzsmokeyallan) has finished his section on gauges so the document - at least this first edition version - is pretty much complete.

I still have some fiddling to do to make some of the photos load faster, plus I have more material that can be added here and there. Its a work in progress. I'd like to again thank Rick (H2RICK), Fred ( Buffalo-guy) and especially Allan, Richard (TZ375) and Gunnar for their contributions.

If folks are in agreement, this could now be made a 'sticky'. 8)
Ian

gt-keith
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT380 & GSF650 Bandit

Post by gt-keith »

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!!!!!

Now can you do one for the GT380 please. :lol:
stroker
Still in the Driveway

Post by stroker »

GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot!
ericsattic
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Now T500, previous TS185, GS750, GS1000

Post by ericsattic »

I thought I had seen everything unique out there in media form related to water buffs. For example, check these two wild sites out:

http://www.smokeriders.com/Technical/Su ... ocket.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.speedray.us/projinfo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, your field guide beats em' all! Out freakin's standing. In other words, your field guide is "the (buffalo) balls!" I don't own a water buffalo yet, but your field guide may change that. Best Regards, Eric :clap:
1968 Suzuki T500 Cobra
1970 Suzuki T500 Mark III [rebuild project]
1970 Kawasaki 500 Mach III - H1
1975 Kawasaki 750 Mach IV - H2
1970 Yamaha R5 350
1984 Yamaha RZ350L [acquired September 2015]
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

I've just posted an updated 'second' edition of The Guide - you can access it at this link:

http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/fieldgu ... cover.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would like to thank the many folks who sent me photos of specific examples I was missing - in no particular order they include: Mike, Rocco, Mark, Mick, Martin, Nathen and Allan. I'm also indebted to Rick (H2RiCK) for proof reading much of it - of course he complained continuously, but I think he actually enjoyed it :D and the document is much better due to his attention to detail - thanks ! I've added a section called 'Colours' - still missing a few examples, but there is a lot there and it is interesting seeing the differences between different markets. The section on 'Country Specific' versions is also new, and I've updated Richard's section on Oil Pumps with the new material he has added recently. I would still like to add a few photos, or maybe a short section about cable routing - as yet I haven't been able to locate a good original example to get some photos of - not surprisingly after 35 odd years, it is difficult to know what is original and what isn't :?

Feedback, corrections and additions are always welcome - just drop an email to me (oldjapanesebikes (at) shaw (dot) ca).

Enjoy ! 8)
Ian

husson73
On the main road

Post by husson73 »

very interesting, have put a link on the french GT triple forum and they said: hurrah 8) :mrgreen:
RG 500 owner since new, still well and alive
87m6chris
Around the block

Post by 87m6chris »

Thanks a lot Ian, I was quite happy with my T500 until I went through your tome of GT750
in depth info... now I want one!
Great work.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

I have just uploaded a refresh of the Field Guide - I think its all still there :wth: This is the direct link:

http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/fieldgu ... cover.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The main change is to repackage the year by year information to conform to the E1 export version, as basically most of the parts were the same everywhere, and then grouping all the country specific variances in one section. It still isn't complete, and I suspect never will be :? but it is getting closer to what I originally was thinking of when I started. There are quite a few new photos, many corrections, and undoubtedly a few new errors :D , but it will continue to evolve.

Enjoy !

8)
PS: I'm still looking for photos of original non-North American switchgear. If you have a photo of the original left and/or right switch gear, together with the model year that you are willing to share, I'd like to see it ! Just email it to me at oldjapanesebikes@shaw.ca
Ian

MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by MikeH1A »

Ian, I've just been in and had a look. Hard to imagine that you could improve on it but you have. Even more interesting and useful info - and I found the answer to a couple of questions that were floating around our bike group at our last ride :clap:

Just like the ancient Japanese cultural approach: small, incremental improvements towards a state of perfection :up:

Mike
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
aussie gt
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: ts125, ts185, gt750k, gt750j

Post by aussie gt »

As a new member to this forum i have found some great info on 750,s and will take a while to read older posts but info on FIELD GUIDE i found a year ago as awesome, great work. :clap: :up: