seat trim chrome

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

F5
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T125, RG50, RG250/500 Cheetah hybrid

seat trim chrome

Post by F5 »

Hey all. I'd asked this a couple of years back to no avail.

Does anyone have the hot tip for sourcing/replacing the chrome strip around the seat? Many classic bikes have the problem that this gets turfed in a cheapo bodged 80's seat recover & they aren't easy to find. Substitute trim that can be bent to shape somehow?
Stinger & various others
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: seat trim chrome

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

F5 wrote:Hey all. I'd asked this a couple of years back to no avail.

Does anyone have the hot tip for sourcing/replacing the chrome strip around the seat? Many classic bikes have the problem that this gets turfed in a cheapo bodged 80's seat recover & they aren't easy to find. Substitute trim that can be bent to shape somehow?
Funny you should ask, as I was just 'talking' about that very topic here. I'm talking to three suppliers: one in Florida who frankly are over priced especially if you don't live in the US, one in Australia from whom I'm waiting for some photos, and one in Canada from whom I'm waiting for a reply. All of these would supply polished stainless steel trim - none of them would qualify as being a bargain :?
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

I had this problem too and found the easiest way out was to buy a seat off of ebay that had a good trim on it. It took me a while to find one with what I wanted on it and the end bid was around $50.00.
It had on a perfect trim, perfect hinges and lock catch, the sponge, base and cover is junk so i may consider tossing those parts out, but for $50.00 getting these perfect condition items is a bargain at that price.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

Even the new replacement OEM seats don't have polished ss for trim. They use what looks to be some sort of aluminum alloy which isn't as shiny(at least thats what mine has). It works but it's not great. I've also been looking but haven't come up with anything that would really work. I've looked in boat mags, body work sites. Nothing seems to quite work. They have some small flexible stuff but you'de be hard pressed to figure out how to mount it.
So many Projects - So little time
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

Suzsmokeyallan wrote:I had this problem too and found the easiest way out was to buy a seat off of ebay that had a good trim on it. It took me a while to find one with what I wanted on it and the end bid was around $50.00.
It had on a perfect trim, perfect hinges and lock catch, the sponge, base and cover is junk so i may consider tossing those parts out, but for $50.00 getting these perfect condition items is a bargain at that price.
Plus shipping I'm guessing ? So over $100 ?

Trying to locate good used stuff is what we've all done, and will continue to try and do :wink: , but of course the good stuff is getting harder and harder to locate so connecting with folks who will make good reproduction parts is something that needs to start happening more and more :D I suppose you have noticed that there is an outfit in Florida called 'Cool Retro Bikes' who will gladly make you seat trim - but only if you also send them your seat to be refurbished :? For me, having to ship down there and back again that means a hit of about $900 USD in total :shock: but I'm not quite that desperate just yet :D I'll keep looking.
Ian

oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

oldjapanesebikes wrote:
F5 wrote:Hey all. I'd asked this a couple of years back to no avail.

Funny you should ask, as I was just 'talking' about that very topic here. I'm talking to three suppliers: one in Florida who frankly are over priced especially if you don't live in the US, one in Australia from whom I'm waiting for some photos, and one in Canada from whom I'm waiting for a reply. All of these would supply polished stainless steel trim - none of them would qualify as being a bargain :?
Looks like it will probably be Australia - I'll let you know how it goes. 8)
Ian

Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

No it wasnt near $100.00 Ian, so i lucked out on this one for sure, just coincidence I stripped the same seat today, so i can safely say the parts are in near perfect shape.
Markj the new oem GT750 seats come with no trim, so i do not know where you got yours from with a trim on it, they also dont have the folded clips as the originals ones, but now carry 'the teeth' that pierces the covers edge to hold it on.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
johnakay
I likes them jubblies
Suzuki 2-Strokes: bike

Post by johnakay »

the guy who did mine , I'll ask him if he still do them. these are or were alloy.
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

johnakay wrote:the guy who did mine , I'll ask him if he still do them. these are or were alloy.
Thanks John ! 8)
Ian

F5
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T125, RG50, RG250/500 Cheetah hybrid

Post by F5 »

Thanks for the replies guys. Getting a whole seat to NZ is a bit prohibitive + the US seats were longer on the Stinger apparently so I could end up with something different.

I'm not trying for 100%, just a good representation from 10ft.
Stinger & various others
markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

Suzsmokeyallan wrote:Markj the new oem GT750 seats come with no trim, so i do not know where you got yours from with a trim on it, they also dont have the folded clips as the originals ones, but now carry 'the teeth' that pierces the covers edge to hold it on.
Hmm..it's been a couple of years and can't remember where I got it from. I'll get it out tomorrow and take a look but I remembered it having the trim. Must be a non-OEM replica.
So many Projects - So little time
johnakay
I likes them jubblies
Suzuki 2-Strokes: bike

Post by johnakay »

OK I've contacted the friend of mine about the seat trim.
the one he fitted to my seat is hard to fit as you will need special tools and they are not cheap to buy.
but what he did say is that he's getting to new trims very similar to the ones on my bike and a lot easier to fit.
he will contact me in two weeks time once he had tried them out.
if all OK the price will be around $40 to $47 plus p&p
yes they're pricey.
like everything else thing for classic bikes prices have rocketed here.
he's not making much out of it $6 but doing it as a favour to me.john
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership