Rubber stuff

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Rubber stuff

Post by rbond »

Oldjapanesebikes may have found an excellent source for more unobtanium parts! Clauss Studios does a lot of custom rubber and plastic repros. Anyway I am wondering if he can make replacement (urethane) rubber mounts for T/GT500 engines. This would eliminate having to modify the cases to accept GT750 bushings! Maybe even a stateside source of fork dust boots. I may contact Clauss about the suitability of his rubber compound for the dust boot. This sounds almost exciting........... :)
TLRam1
Road race school

Re: Rubber stuff

Post by TLRam1 »

I'll watch this thread.
Terry

Maybe poker's not your game, Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest~

74 Suzuki GT750 / 74 Suzuki T500 / 75 Suzuki GT380 / 97 & 01 Honda Magna / 03 Kawasaki KX250 / 01 Yamaha WR250F / 03 Yamaha TTR 125L
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

rbond wrote: I am wondering if he can make replacement (urethane) rubber mounts for T/GT500 engines. This would eliminate having to modify the cases to accept GT750 bushings! Maybe even a stateside source of fork dust boots.
Greg can make a copy of just about any small rubber part, as well as plastic parts such as lenses - but keep in mind that it is an exact copy so your original has to be as good as you can give him. Any flaw will be faithfully reproduced ! :? For the bushes, if you can make a pattern, then I'm sure he can cast it. Give him a call ! :D

I have a few other items he is making for Allan and I right now (if they turn out OK then perhaps Allan will share what they are :D ), plus for myself, I have a couple more that I'll be discussing with Greg. Specifically they are the rubber boots that cover the connectors on the wire harness to the temperature sensor for the water temp. gauge and the one for the cooling fan sensor. I'm not interested in selling them myself - so I'll set it up so that folks can just deal with him if they wish. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
TLRam1
Road race school

Post by TLRam1 »

What about the original rubber boot for the injector rod on the GT750?
Terry

74 Suzuki GT750 / 74 Suzuki T500 / 75 Suzuki GT380 / 97 & 01 Honda Magna / 03 Kawasaki KX250 / 01 Yamaha WR250F / 03 Yamaha TTR 125L
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

TLRam1 wrote:What about the original rubber boot for the injector rod on the GT750?
If I ever found a good original, then it would certainly be on my list, but I've never seen one that was in really good NOS type condition. I've thought about trying to dummy one up from the pleated rubber sleeve used on the rear brake cable .......
Ian

TLRam1
Road race school

Post by TLRam1 »

oldjapanesebikes wrote:
TLRam1 wrote:What about the original rubber boot for the injector rod on the GT750?
If I ever found a good original, then it would certainly be on my list, but I've never seen one that was in really good NOS type condition. I've thought about trying to dummy one up from the pleated rubber sleeve used on the rear brake cable .......
Yep, mine is in at least two pieces, I leave it on as while it sits there it's no so bad.
Terry

two-stroke-brit
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt750

Post by two-stroke-brit »

hey ian what about the carb intake boots that fit between cylinder and carbs as NOS seem to be about $130+ on fleabay.
would the cost be competative.
thanks mark
She will never be pretty but hoping she will be a fun ride.

1973 SUZUKI GT750K.=SOLD
yamaha speedtwinn 100 barn find =SOLD
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (restored)
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (basket case) =SOLD
1982 HONDA CB900F =SOLD
1982 YAMAHA RD350LC.
1985 RZ350N
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

two-stroke-brit wrote:hey ian what about the carb intake boots that fit between cylinder and carbs as NOS seem to be about $130+ on fleabay.
would the cost be competative. thanks mark
These (13110-32200 for the late J and K, and 13111-31201 for the L through B ) are still available from Suzuki at $34 each for the early ones, and $33 each for the latter ones. The boots from the air boxes are also available - 13881-31201 for L through B at $27 each. The air box hose set for the J and K is not available, so perhaps that could be a candidate - I think Reiner still has them for about EURO 100. 8)

The thing is, there would have to be a demand for these items - have any folks actually ordered one of the battery protectors ? When I look, for example, at Allan's luck lining up clients to restore gauges, I'd have to say that it seems to be a very small market. I'll give you another example - I'm discussing with a guy in Australia about getting a couple of sets of stainless steel seat trim made to original spec to fit a J and K style seat as I have had no luck finding anything suitable 'off the shelf' - it won't be cheap, but I suspect I'm probably one of just a handful of people that would even be interested. Am I wrong ? 8)
Ian

rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by rbond »

You are right. I think this is the major stumbling block is the very low demand for these parts. Despite the seemingly large amount of bikes still out there, the need for any significant amount of any repro parts will always be too low to make the prices come down much. So, part of the decision by the owner is 'do I really NEED this part, that bad?'.
TLRam1
Road race school

Post by TLRam1 »

oldjapanesebikes wrote:
two-stroke-brit wrote: have any folks actually ordered one of the battery protectors ?
Not yet but I plan to.
Terry

Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

You know Ian i'm backing you 100% on your endeavors, it boggles the mind at how many people view things such as this, and as we are on the topic of remaking parts or instrument gauges as you mentioned, it is where I'll direct this post.
For instance, you CANNOT buy a new GT750 gauge no matter how much money you have, and any NOS ones you find will have issues such as a cloudy glass and dried up lube and grease etc.
If NOS ones for the GT750 show up on ebay, they are selling for approx $300.00 each, for either a speedo or tach, so the price per unit for these is not low.
Adding to this price, it will need some restorative work which means more cost to bring it up to scratch.
I can supply a well restored GT750 gauge unit for $200.00 each, for either a speedo or tach, and a lot of people think its too expensive at that price.
Bear in mind, a modern analogue gauge unit for a bike such as a 1200 Bandit costs close to $400.00 for each unit new.
I'd like to see someone who has a linkage boot with the pleated portion offer it up for reproduction, and I'd buy at least two. I'd say $20.00 would be about the end result price with a minimal markup included.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

Suzsmokeyallan wrote: I'd like to see someone who has a linkage boot with the pleated portion offer it up for reproduction, and I'd buy at least two. I'd say $20.00 would be about the end result price with a minimal markup included.
Ask and ye shall receive :D These are back on eBay again - I bought one and it is just like the original, complete with the metal stiffener at the large end. While I suspect it might be a repro, if it is then it is a really good one. 8)
Ian