Suzuki GT550 Badges

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Rustygt550
On the main road

Suzuki GT550 Badges

Post by Rustygt550 »

Hi, I need some advice on the side panel badges fitted to gt550's

Have they always been glittery Orange even the early ones J & K models

I have seen some with a flat orange & others with glitter

Thanks
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

They were always glitter orange on the original bikes. The plain ones you see now was / is Suzukis 'second run'. The originals metal flake was dropped for reasons unknown. Maybe they lost the formula or it was no longer cost effective to produce them that way.
You can still get the second generation type from your local dealer. Some of the group have 'improvised' and did their own glitter job. Occasionally the originals will show up on ebay -- but they draw mega bucks.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
Barry S.
To the on ramp

Post by Barry S. »

If you have a set that has bad paint you can repaint them, I have done several set that way. Strip them with paint remover and paint them with model car paint and a fine brush, clearcoat over when dry, looks as good as the new plain ones.
2007 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Lane took a new set of the red GT badges and mixed some orange glitter paint and filled it over the red. I saw these ones he altered at DG last year and they looked very good.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

I have read that a hobby shop may have a glitter paint that matches the stock finish very closely .
the older i get the faster i was
Rustygt550
On the main road

Post by Rustygt550 »

Thanks, any ideas on the exact color or where to buy it?
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

the older i get the faster i was
Rustygt550
On the main road

Post by Rustygt550 »

Thanks for the info

Has anyone any info on the badges reproduction decals sells?

Thanks
pjmcburney
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T20 GT750L RE5A GSX1100S RG500G GSX-R1100N

Post by pjmcburney »

Rustygt550 wrote:Thanks for the info

Has anyone any info on the badges reproduction decals sells?

Thanks

Hi Rusty,

The Badges available from Repro-Decals are (AFAIK) Brian Cutler's reproductions from here in Oz, re-sold through Repro-Decals site.
You can buy them direct from Brian at this site - www.badgereplicas.com.au if you like.
I think the prices work out about the same once you do the currency conversion.

Brian has spent many hours copying OEM badges from as many bikes as he can get his hands on and makes a very fine product - I have a couple of sets on my bikes.

They are re-moulded in a heavier, more malleable alloy and look and feel 'solid' - even better than OEM. The paint is excellent quality as well and matches OEM exactly.

Be aware the moulding process Brian uses does result in some shrinkage of the completed badge so consequently they end up being ever so slightly smaller than OEM.
This needs to be taken into account when mounting them as the pins may be slightly out in relation to the holes in sidecovers and tanks compared to OEM (nothing some silicon or double-sided tape won't fix).

Cheers
Paul
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Paul i wish i could share you opinions on the matter but I'm not that happy about Brians reproduction emblems.
They are not anodized aluminum such as the original ones are but more of a chrome plated pot metal.
Since most of the badges have to be curved to fit the panel, if you start to shape these reproductions of his (no matter how carefully you do it) you can hear the chrome cracking.
While they do look good on the finish he has done, you can tell them from the originals if you know what to look for.
I wish Brian had made his emblems out of the same anodized aluminum as well which shapes very easily and works just fine.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
Rustygt550
On the main road

Post by Rustygt550 »

Thanks for all this info, I went ahead & orderd original nos glittery orange badges from Germany.
pjmcburney
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T20 GT750L RE5A GSX1100S RG500G GSX-R1100N

Post by pjmcburney »

Suzsmokeyallan wrote:Paul i wish i could share you opinions on the matter but I'm not that happy about Brians reproduction emblems.
They are not anodized aluminum such as the original ones are but more of a chrome plated pot metal.
Since most of the badges have to be curved to fit the panel, if you start to shape these reproductions of his (no matter how carefully you do it) you can hear the chrome cracking.
While they do look good on the finish he has done, you can tell them from the originals if you know what to look for.
I wish Brian had made his emblems out of the same anodized aluminum as well which shapes very easily and works just fine.
Hey Allan,

I've not experienced the same issues as you describe above. That's not to say they don't exist, just that any of the badges I've received have played the game for me quite well.
IMHO, for the price, Brian's stuff is bloody good.

There's certainly a trick to working with Brian's badges.
They will not bend anywhere near as easily as OEM because they are thicker and heavier. There are instructions to address their 'shortcomings' in the package you get from Brian and it's best to heed them.

Essentially you heat the badges in hot water first. Then when they're nice and warm, start bending them very carefully and in very small increments. None of the chrome on my badges has cracked and I've not lost any paint either using this method.

On a GT tank and sidecovers, there isn't really that much of a curve. I start in the middle and work out to the edges slowly and carefully, fitting the badge after each bend - that way you can work out exactly how much a curve you have to apply and no more. Any badge will crack and possibly break if bent too far, it's not a job for the impatient, that's for sure.

It takes about 20 minutes or so of wangling with each badge to get them right.
On the sidecovers, elongate one of the holes slightly to accommodate the narrower pin spacing. Stick with double-sided tape.
On the tank, remove one of the badge pins completely (the one toward the rear of the bike preferably) and again, stick the badge down with some high-quality double sided tape.

The OEM GT750 sidecover badges I bought recently are cracked and crazed on the rear and they are brand-new, never been installed, so it's not just a Repro badge issue...

Of course buying some of Brian's badges is a moot point if you can get OEM for the right price, but if he's your only source of badges which are unobtanium, well you'll have to come to grips with the correct procedures...

Cheers
Paul
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Paul i am aware of all youre saying but having bought some side cover and tank badges from Brian im not happy with how his badges are made.
I have no idea why he bothered to use the pot metal when the anodized aluminum is much easier to work with.
The fact the pins on the badges are are too big, and the badges themselves are slightly smaller makes it all the worse since you cannot just fit them straight onto the bike.
I'm not a 100% perfectionist but id prefer to refurbish some old badges than use his simply because to me they are a better item all around.
I have NOS side cover badges for my 72 bike and they are perfect, the crazing you might be referring to could be in the glitter of the wording but not in the actual aluminum itself.
For a similar situation i got some 73 to 77 side cover badges from Brian and the glitter was also cracked and crazed as well.
Again if you cannot get the badges id have to agree with you to buy his,,BUT for me that would only be a temporary situation and id be hunting for some NOS or decent oem ones to refurbish for sure.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

My own two cents worth - I think Brian's stuff looks just fine in spite of what Allan says, and I will happily buy from him again.
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !