UK registration question

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

akendall1966
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500_MKIII

UK registration question

Post by akendall1966 »

One for the UK vehicle regulations experts.

So I have a considerable pile of t500 bits left over from restoring a MkIII a few years back. I have a frame and crankcases with numbers consistent with 1975 manufacture. There is no V5 or documentation of what registration the frame had in the past. All the parts I have come from all over so very little likely come from a single original bike.

I don't have the appetite for a restoration as much of what I have was rejected from the MkIII build as being a bit to far gone. I have some ideas for a special but believe anything other than a period correct collection of parts to yield a bike largely consistent with a 75 M model would invoke the MSVA route. So far it appears MSVA can only be applied to <10 years old, and I assume modern standards would be applied to 40+ year old technology, sounds tricky. To get an age related registration the bike would have to be rebuilt using a majority of OEM period correct parts.

Of course rebuilt, running and roadworthy to get an MOT wouldn't need to be restored for some authorised organisation to inspect and issue a dating letter. Just would need to be mostly built out of the right parts. This seem like the route to go but, building the bike OEM spec to register it only to tear it down again is extra work / cost.

Am I missing something is there another way? I wouldn't mind a Q plate as its not like a survivor bike loosing its identity.

P.S. don't really want to buy another frame / bike with a V5, want this to be a low cost (i.e no chrome plating) build that leaves the part shelves empty and the bank account relatively full :lol:

As ever sage advice appreciated.

AK
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Re: UK registration question

Post by dollydog »

if it's a uk reg bike then get the frame hpi'd. this will give you as well as any bad payment history on it, engine number and registration. all you need then is a v62 form, fill the details, add £25 and you'll get a new v5 :D
cheers, dd.
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.
akendall1966
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500_MKIII

Post by akendall1966 »

OK didn't know you could HPI a frame number. AFAIK its a UK frame.
:up:
AK
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Post by dollydog »

ak, you could always try this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-moto ... 1438.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers, dd.
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.