Engine Case Bolting Procedure

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Olafskii
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 72 GT750, 74 GT750, 75 T500, 76T500, 09 DR650

Engine Case Bolting Procedure

Post by Olafskii »

What wisdom is out there on bolting up the engine cases on a rebuilt engine? I'm re-assembling my GT750J with rebuilt, shined, cleaned components and newly plated engine bolts. All tapped holes have been chased. Everything has been cleaned. All vapor blast grubles carefully removed

Specifically
  • does anyone still use lockwashers? The old ones were limp and flattened after 50 years. With the really good thread lockers that we have now (like Locktite 243-blue) what is the point of lock washers?
    re-assemble with bolts dry?
    Locktite 243 or no?
    copperlube or no?
Olaf
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: Engine Case Bolting Procedure

Post by jabcb »

I use new JIS bolts & nuts, and new washers & lock washers. All zinc plated. Mostly from McMaster-Carr & BoltDepot. Plus a few odd sizes from Suzuki.
https://www.mcmaster.com
https://www.boltdepot.com

Plus a zinc-plated crankcase cover screw kit from RimFire. The RimFire link wasn’t working this morning, so I don’t know what is going on there.

Some Suzuki bolts, washers & lock washers are spiffier looking. So I use them where they are noticeable, like on the triple tree & the ram-air cover.

When they were new, I don’t think the original Suzuki lock washers were as stiff as modern lock washers. T250/T350/GT250 carbs are spigot mounted. I’ve found that modern lock washers require way too much load to compress when using them on those carbs. Suzuki has superseded the lock washers they sold back in the day with modern versions. I’ve tried new Suzuki lock washers & they have the same problem.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: Engine Case Bolting Procedure

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

jabcb wrote: Plus a zinc-plated crankcase cover screw kit from RimFire. The RimFire link wasn’t working this morning, so I don’t know what is going on there.
Paul was in hospital in August, and when I spoke with him toward the end of August he said he had taken the web site off line till he was feeling better.

8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !