kickstarter conundrum

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Evans Ward
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 76 GT750, 72 H2 750, 84 RZ350

Re: kickstarter conundrum

Post by Evans Ward »

Excellent news that a member here helped you sort this!! :clap:

You should post a pic of that washer to include dimensions of outer and inner diameter. As mentioned, it may go in the clutch assembly. Might be best to ID it before running the bike.
1976 Suzuki GT750 (Maui Blue), 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV (Candytone Blue), 1984 Yamaha RZ350 (KRR- Yellow/ Black).
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

Ramjam wrote: UPDATE
Sportson was bang on with his hunch. In fact i HAD placed incorrectly a washer on the outside of the cog. Soon as i whiped it off, kiskstarter works well. Problem now is where did it come from ??? Oh bugger.
Glad you found the problem. Could the washer be from other end of the kickstart shaft? (part 17 in the exploded diagram)
I can sympathise with your "Oh bugger!" moment. I made a similar error on my bike with the stepped washer on the clutch shaft. Didn't notice I had omitted it until after I had bolted and sealed the two crankcase halves together. I think I said more than "Oh bugger" at the time.
Ramjam
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gsx 750R, GPZ 750, GT380

Post by Ramjam »

Ramjam wrote:
Ramjam wrote:
sportston wrote:Then can we assume from your line of questioning that you have inserted an unnecessary washer between the kickstart cog and the clutch cover?
If so, ditch the spare washer and you should have a kickstart that works. It would raise another question though. Where did the spare washer come from? Was it supposed to go somewhere else?
Exactly. But maybe my mind's playing tricks on me. For sure, that washer was there before at some point. But just last weekend i had the case off and i didn't recall seeing it. Will have it off soon and settle my curiosity. but yes, if it's there, where did it come from? Behind the clutch assembly? Or one of the other cogs?
Yikes

UPDATE
Sportson was bang on with his hunch. In fact i HAD placed incorrectly a washer on the outside of the cog. Soon as i whiped it off, kiskstarter works well. Problem now is where did it come from ??? Oh bugger.
If someone could post a picture of the entire clutch assembly, i would be very grateful. cheers
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

Like this?
Ramjam
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gsx 750R, GPZ 750, GT380

Post by Ramjam »

sportston wrote:Like this?
Brilliant. thanks so much. Im pretty sure, looking at this pic, that i have only replaced one of the two washers, which i can now see in the diagam. Cheers for that.
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

You're welcome. You can usually get parts assembly pics like this from Partzilla or in this case Robinson's Foundry. I have found them to be invaluable in my own rebuilds
dorT500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75 T500M since '93 Ridden it over 100,000 mi

Post by dorT500 »

sportston wrote:You're welcome. You can usually get parts assembly pics like this from Partzilla or in this case Robinson's Foundry. I have found them to be invaluable in my own rebuilds
Yep and for the 'big picture'.....you gotta love that exploded engine artwork...... :)

and for those peeling an unfamiliar engine apart, a service manual and a camera can be their best friends.