1967 T20 - Clutch plate sticking I think...

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

granitize
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1968 T20

1967 T20 - Clutch plate sticking I think...

Post by granitize »

Hi,
Still at it... Trying to put things back together and realized that the clutch is sticking (Not badly I hope)...
and the clutch cover is bent.

Getting a weld shop to gently heat and "unbend" the case.. and fix the crack in the clutch examination cover.

Question:
On the bench... I can use the shifter to put the bike into what I feel is neutral... and the rear wheel spins smoothly and quietly.
If I push the lever into first the rear wheel is "engaged" but pulling the clutch handle(disengaging the clutch) doesn't allow the rear wheel to spin.
I feel this was working when I loaded it into my truck for the trip home!..

How can I "check" and/or release the clutch plates whilst on the bench without a complete teardown?
Does the spring just "compress" the whole clutch unit when the clutch isn't pulled?
It the center "button" in the removable pin supposed to depress?

Thanks
IMG_20180331_1225269.jpg
IMG_20180331_1225491.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Some people know, and other's want to... Progress happens when you understand when to be who!"
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Re: 1967 T20 - Clutch plate sticking I think...

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi granitize,

I think you have nothing more to contend with than some sticky clutch plates, quite common on a clutch if not used for some time. Brit bike riders have a routine of kicking the engine over, ign. off, to "free" the plates before starting to minimise that first "clunk" when you engage 1st. I'm sure those more familiar with the T20 will advise further.

Cheers Geoff
tz375
Moto GP

Re: 1967 T20 - Clutch plate sticking I think...

Post by tz375 »

Where is the pressure plate? Without that, the clutch pushrod cannot lift. That end button thing presses on the pressure plate to lift it.

Edit. Something was bothering me about that poicture, so I just looked at the online parts lists and looks like that clutch is pushed inwards from the cover, so it needs to have the clutch cover fitted and the cable correctly adjusted. That design is very different to most bikes. In that design the plates move inwards, where on most they move outwards.

If you didn't strip the clutch, Geoff is probably correct that the plates are stuck together. Try putting it in gear and try to rotate the wheel with the clutch pulled in - after the cable is adjusted.