GT750 Seat Cover Replacement

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Olafskii
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 72 GT750, 74 GT750, 75 T500, 76T500, 09 DR650

GT750 Seat Cover Replacement

Post by Olafskii »

Can anyone suggest some links or videos to guide replacing the cover on GT750 Seats?

I'm looking for guidance for things like--do I glue the new foam to the seat pan? Tips and tricks for pulling the vinyl taut. But the real challenge is the metal seat pan. Modern seat pans are polyethylene or fiberglass, both of which readily take staples. The upholsterers in my area all will renew a seat with one of these pans but won't touch metal seat pans.

The original GT750J vinyl seat cover has a wire sewn into the outer perimeter. The seat pan hooks actually grab this perimeter wire. I bought a reproduction seat cover and foam (from HVCycle) that are a very good match for the original. But the reproduction cover does not have the wire sewn into the perimeter. This is probably because it would be necessary to carefully fit the cover to the individual seat before the wire is sewn in. How have other fellows solved this problem?

Olaf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Re: GT750 Seat Cover Replacement

Post by sportston »

You can't go around asking questions like that! Seat covering is a very emotional subject for some of us you know. :ssh:
Lol. They can be a pain the bum to do well.
There is more than one way to do it. How you go about it may depend upon what sort of base you are using.
Some guys use rivets to hold the cover on, like this Image
others use spike strips like this Image
here is a guide on how to use them.
http://www.pandkclassicbikes.co.uk/A-GU ... ERING.html

DON'T glue the foam to the base and DON'T glue the cover to the foam (that way lies only frustration and a ruined seat).

Also remember that spikes often snap if flexed more than once.
My advice is to take your time, and don't bend any spikes back until you are sure the cover is in the right position and tight enough.
My further advice is, never try to make your own custom seat base unless you have a lot of time and are very, very patient.
Good luck