72-GT750 Restoration

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

bkelly
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 , 1975

72-GT750 Restoration

Post by bkelly »

HI I am starting a GT750 restoration , I am from Kelowna, BC . Canada , this is my second GT I had a 75 but now going to focus on this project. I picked the bike up this summer, it was indoor kept, but in need of TCL. Some things have gone missing off it over time, it turns over and I was told rode in once perhaps 15 or more years ago. I am struggling to get the right upper pipe off -sure stuck, things otherwise are coming off ok , thats nice. I plan to get it back to stock Lavender , One thing Im considering is what to do with the exhaust. Mine are so so - some rot in the under of the right upper, i got a stuck baffle piece in the left im working on. Id considered aftermarket expansion chambers- If anyone could offer some opinions on choices.
Heres the bike on pick up, she's more stripped down now. and one of the pipe im working to get off, Thanks, Brent Kelly
P1030432.jpg
P1030717.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bkelly
Still in the Driveway

Re: 72-GT750 Restoration

Post by bkelly »

mods please move to 'restorations' topic site -thanks
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

How is the pipe stuck? I am guessing someone clamped it in without a gasket. I would imagine you must have enough leverage to grab the other end of the pipe and work it up, down, left and right sufficiently for it to come loose? You may find the threaded part of the pipe will have left a little damage to the casting though. But that is down to the person who put the pipe on in the first place and its too late for you to prevent that now.
bkelly
Still in the Driveway

Post by bkelly »

yes i believe your right , the left side was w/o gasket and tuff but came loose this one aint budging , i think i will hoist up the front to get better penetrant oil entry , twisting and heat/cool .. has not given any movement yet. also plan to get a nut between the flange and head then bolt on and try to upthread the nut as a press- one thing i did was strapped around the pipe and used my slide hammer - no movement yet. im being as careful as i can - heres the left side photo - Brent
P1030718.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Your best bet is to put back on the flange and tighten it up against the barrel. Some well delivered blows to the parts where the 8mm bolts go should screw the flange inwards and force the header out of the barrel. Use a piece of stout hardwood as the striking rod to prevent damage to the flange ears as you attempt to turn it inwards on the threads.
As you noted someone has put on the pipes without gaskets and forced the threads into the barrel flanges.

Which area around Kelowna are you from as I pass there often during summer tours into BC.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
bkelly
Still in the Driveway

Post by bkelly »

thanks i ground down a couple nuts and a wrench to put between the flange and head on the studs , sorta like you mention- then bolt off . it didnt give enough - ill try your way better bearing - maybe a shim in there to protect a bit, i want to elevate the bike like a deer let her soak up some oil for the night-
thanks

Im in town side glenmore area - feel free to msg me if you pass through - if youd like to check it out . brent
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

Suzsmokeyallan wrote:Your best bet is to put back on the flange and tighten it up against the barrel. Some well delivered blows to the parts where the 8mm bolts go should screw the flange inwards and force the header out of the barrel. Use a piece of stout hardwood as the striking rod to prevent damage to the flange ears as you attempt to turn it inwards on the threads.
Yeah thats a great idea. Better than mine, I would say.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Suzsmokeyallan wrote:Your best bet is to put back on the flange and tighten it up against the barrel. .....
I like that idea to use the flange nut to push the pipe out. You could try using a suspension C spanner to crank the flange nut down and use lots of lubricant.